Railroad Mergers & Old Logos

How long after two (or more) railroads merged to for another railroad would one still see the old logos without the new railroad's markings?

Specifically... when Penn Central was born, would one still see a NYC or PRR caboose or engine without any PC markings? (And how about when PC became a part of Conrail?)

Chris Curren

e-mails (incoming/outgoing) scanned with Norton Antivirus 2002 (Remove "Don't" to reply via e-mail).] ====================================== Notice to bulk e-mail senders (better known as scum sucking spammers): Pursuant to U.S. code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, 227: "any and all non-solicited commercial e-mail send to this e-mail address is subject to a download and archival fee in the amount of $500.00 (five hundred dollars) in U.S. funds. E-mailing denotes acceptance of these terms."

Reply to
Chris Curren

That could depend on how aggressively the merged railroad painted. I still see Frisco beige box cars from time to time and that merger was

1982? I saw a Northern Pacific caboose in Denver in 1983 and that merger was 1970. So 13 years. The bigger thing lately hasn't been repainting but simply retirement of equipment with the old logos on them. There are still BN and Santa Fe locomotives out there that don't have the BNSF stenciled on them.
Reply to
SleuthRaptorman

I remember seeing Erie Lackawanna 3 bay hoppers lined up off of the NJ Turnpike, down near the airport about 6-7 years ago, up in Kingston NY, they had a Penn Central, and if I remember correctly, also a PRR boxcar up there in the yard, also about 6-7 years ago. There was also a Penn Central boxcar I saw over in North Bergen, up until about 2 years ago, and I was at Oak Island yesterday, and there was a relatively intact Penn Central gondola in the maintenance yard, right up alongside the mainline. There was also a Conrail boxcar, that you could almost make out the PRR markings under the blotch paint that was covering it. Jeff

Reply to
JJRNJ

As I read his post, I think Chris was referring not to the overall paint scheme on the car, but rather the reporting marks. I saw some very old Nickel Plate cars as recently as the mid '80's, but they had small N&W stenciled on them.

I'm not sure of the answer to this question, but I'd guess that reporting marks would be changed in short order for interchange pruposes... I'd guess that "some" kind of new ownership mark would be there within a year or so...

dlm

Reply to
Dan L. Merkel

The "old" reporting marks can be left for many years. They are just assigned to the new company for accounting purposes. It can be over 20 years before the get remarked.

Howard

Reply to
Howard R Garner

the oldest I saw was a 40 foot tank car with the CGW reporting marks and the oval on it in the CNW/UP Forty Street Engine house in the around 1997. I think I just moved fuel around between Proviso and Chicago.

Reply to
John Obert

Years and years. I still continue to see rolling stock marked for Western Pacific, Missouri Pacific and Southern Pacific, for example, even though all 3 were sucked up by UP some number of years ago.

Reply to
Rick Jones

That opens a whole different thought. The BNSF regularly has 60' diesel tanks servicing the locomotive shops here in Denver. When one looks really close the GN goat logo can still be seen under the solid black paint. The reporting mark is still the original GN number with an X in front of it. Same except green for some NP flat cars now in MOW use.

Reply to
SleuthRaptorman

Here in Wisconsin we occasionally still see Northern Pacific and Great Northern woodchip cars. I just saw one in a train near Oshkosh, Wis. this past Labor Day weekend. They still carry NP & GN reporting marks. That's 33 years.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Old, but.... the Chicago Great Western merger was 7/68; those GN & NP woodchip hoppers are *still* carrying reporting marks 33 years after the 3/70 BN merger and I think they can be found roaming in interchange in the upper U.S.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

July 5th, 2003, Belmond, IA CGW flat in work train service. Flat is too old for interchange. Still carrying the original CGW number, but repainted in CNW MoW grey.

Howard

Reply to
Howard R Garner

scheme on the car, but rather the reporting marks.

Yes, that's what I was referring to (Couldn't think of the correct term at the time). Thanks for clarifying it for others!

Chris Curren

e-mails (incoming/outgoing) scanned with Norton Antivirus 2002 (Remove "Don't" to reply via e-mail).] ====================================== Notice to bulk e-mail senders (better known as scum sucking spammers): Pursuant to U.S. code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, 227: "any and all non-solicited commercial e-mail send to this e-mail address is subject to a download and archival fee in the amount of $500.00 (five hundred dollars) in U.S. funds. E-mailing denotes acceptance of these terms."

Reply to
Chris Curren

I just remembered, when I lived in the Dallas Texas area, in 1986, I saw a Western Pacific Geep, possibly a GP35 or GP38... didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it, somewhere west of Plano, Texas (where I was living at the time), and I also saw a bunch of Western Pacific rolling stock in Denton, Texas in a yard not far from the University of North Texas, I remember a caboose, and also some other MoW and freight cars, but I don't remember exactly what, just that they were all WP. I also used to see alot of C&NW diesels come into Oak Island up until Conrail was gobbled up by NS and CSX. Speaking of Conrail and Oak Island, there was a Conrail unit there the other day, still in full Conrail paint and #, it wasn't renumbered into a CSXT yellow # or NS white with black #. Jeff

Reply to
JJRNJ

=================== "Mark Mathu" wrote

Some of Northern Pacific's equipment (and real estate) was tied up as collateral for long term Bond Issues that are still outstanding today. Wasn't discovered until

1983 when they were trying to transfer ownership to Montana Rail Link.
Reply to
Dont Know My Name

I still see an occasional Chessie System locomotive. Don't know just when CSX took over , but it's been quite a while. I don't have any idea where they came from, but I saw 2 Geeps go by my house the other day with Dark Blue B&O scheme. That goes waaaay back.

Ken Day On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 02:38:07 GMT, "Chris Curren"

Reply to
Ken Day