Re: 1930's steam engine - more info found

The additional dimensions confirm my earlier response that this is probably a 1/2" = 1' scale live steam locomotive. 5.5" widths of the model would be

11' wide on the prototype, which is typical.

The E-2-A designation is the class of this locomotive assigned by the original railroad. The class letters "K" and "P" were often used for "pacific" type (the name given to the 4-6-2 wheel arrangement). Class E was less commonly used. One RR which did was the Norfolk & Western (operating between Norfolk, VA and Cincinnati, OH). However it's class E2a pacific's had 70" driving wheels, which on a 1/2" scale model should be about 2.9" diameter (measured across the wheel tread). Was your 3.5" measurement perhaps made across the flanges?

A value is hard to estimate sight unseen - much depends on condition (does the boiler still hold pressure? have parts rusted? does the tender have leaks?), the operability (how well does it run under steam? how easily does it fire?), and the accuracy (how many compromises were made to make an operating model? how skilled a machinist was the builder?) of the model. I do think that 1/2" and 3/4" scale models (which typically require an elevated track so the operator and riders can dangle their feet below the track) are relatively less popular today than the larger 1" and 1 1/2" scales (where the track can be laid on the ground). This lower demand could impact the price you could get for this model.

Two avenues come to mind for selling such a model:

If it is an N&W model, N&W devotees may be interested. You could try to contact the N&W Historical Society in Roanoke, VA. at

You could also post an ad on one of the "live steam" sites. Browsing these sites may also give you a feel for the value. Try:
(and follow links to the classified ads)

Hope this helps. (remove "nospam" to reply) Gary Q

Greetings; > > A few weeks back i worte about a Steam Engine & coal car i have > that i didn't have much information about at the time. It came from > my father, whose own father built and operated it in the 1930's. > > My dad found a set of blue prints and other letters and notes > which pertain to this locomotive. There is lots of informatino here, > and any train enthusiast slightly in the know would know what all of > it meant. > > As it was explained to me, nearly all of the parts were built by my > grandfather. He was a licensed stationary engineer, so he built this > with knowledge of how engines worked. > > It is a class "E-2-A Pacific" known as a 4-6-2. Built around > 1930, it has 2 trucks in the rear, 6 drivers, and 4 trucks in the > front. > > The only incomplete/missing part is the Insulatied cover to go > over the boiler. I do have a box of spare parts and some lengths of > track to go with it. > > The engine measures 29" long, 8" high, 5 1/2" wide. The height > of each of the drivers is 3 1/2". > > The Coal Car measures 22" hitch to end. It is 7 1/2" high, and 5 > 1/2" wide. > > The track width is 3". > > Anyone with any info as to approximate value, or whom i can > contact for more info would be greatly appreciated. As it is, this is > not a particularly sentimental item, as my grandfather was abusive and > i'm a starving college student. I have photos and some scans of the > blueprints and letters i'd be glad to email to someone interested.
Reply to
Geezer

If you have any interest in it at all, as a railroad item or as a well built piece of machinery, I'd say hang on to it.

I still regret selling my Kurta 15 place peppermill calculator when I was a starving student. Payed $200 for it, sold it for $50 - today they bring $800, and they are so well built and finished that they hold interest just for their elegance, not for any utility (my little LCD credit card size scientific calculator does much more).

On the other hand, if you have no interest in railroads, or it's poorly finished, or is a reminder of an abysmal person, you need to search for "live steamers" railroad clubs and web sites. A Google search for "live steam railroad" will get you a number of promising jump-off points.

Reply to
Steve Caple