Re: (HO) Athearn F59PHI question

Kadee publishes a "what fits what list" and it's always somewhere inside the big Walther's book. It's also on the Kadee website. I have
discovered (the hard way) that you can save quite a bit of filing and hacking by checking the list and buying the recommended coupler in the case of locomotives. In the case of freight cars, a #5 works in nearly everything.
David J. Starr
Steve Hoskins wrote:

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 23:10:06 -0400, "David J. Starr"

Thanks...I don't think my buddy up north wants to spend that much money on the book, as the one and only locomotive he has is that F59PHI!!!
On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 16:57:56 -0400, "David J. Starr"

Yup, that's the way I used to do it when I was in HO scale myself. I actually used to use MKD-8's on most of the Athearn stock once I drilled/tapped the coupler mounting tab.

No problem, thank you very much for taking the time to assist. I have forwarded the posts to my buddy up north, he should be able to figure out what you explained about using the #58's in another post!

A PS to my comments on using #58s-I cut the trip pin off the front coupler as it will be very close or touching the plow. If you want to leave it on and it touches, a little bend should do the trick. Thing is that you probably won't be able to couple a car to it that has the trip pin, so you would have to cut that pin off too (I'm a member of the "cut them off club". If you want good function you will have to use a longer shanked coupler with the #5 type knuckle. That works but looks a bit ridiculous sticking out like that. Since the prototype doesn't usually use front coupling when in service that coupler is more for appearance anyway.
J. Bright