Re: (HO) Athearn F59PHI question

Kadee publishes a "what fits what list" and it's always somewhere inside the big Walther's book. It's also on the Kadee website. I have discovered (the hard way) that you can save quite a bit of filing and hacking by checking the list and buying the recommended coupler in the case of locomotives. In the case of freight cars, a #5 works in nearly everything.

David J. Starr

Steve Hosk>

Can anyone advise what Kadee couplers someone should use to replace > the non-Kadees that come stock on Athearn's HO scale F59PHI? > > Thanks!! (A non-Internet-wired friend needs the info; I can't help as > I'm not into HO, only N-scale!)
Reply to
David J. Starr

Thanks...I don't think my buddy up north wants to spend that much money on the book, as the one and only locomotive he has is that F59PHI!!!

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

A PS to my comments on using #58s-I cut the trip pin off the front coupler as it will be very close or touching the plow. If you want to leave it on and it touches, a little bend should do the trick. Thing is that you probably won't be able to couple a car to it that has the trip pin, so you would have to cut that pin off too (I'm a member of the "cut them off club". If you want good function you will have to use a longer shanked coupler with the #5 type knuckle. That works but looks a bit ridiculous sticking out like that. Since the prototype doesn't usually use front coupling when in service that coupler is more for appearance anyway.

J. Bright

Reply to
JHBRIGHT

Yup, that's the way I used to do it when I was in HO scale myself. I actually used to use MKD-8's on most of the Athearn stock once I drilled/tapped the coupler mounting tab.

No problem, thank you very much for taking the time to assist. I have forwarded the posts to my buddy up north, he should be able to figure out what you explained about using the #58's in another post!

Reply to
Steve Hoskins