Re: Hunting Indians from a train

Having in the fall of 1966 landed in a helicopter (an SH-3, stopping to drop off a passenger and some mail and pick up coffee and rolls on our way up to North SAR station) on the New Jersey's fantail, looking directly into the C turret of three 16" rifles, and later seeing the A and B turrets forward of the bridge*, I can assure you that your recollection is faulty.

On other occasions I saw her firing at targets inland, belching huge clouds of yellow-brown smoke.

Holding up the old traditions of the battleship Navy, the coffee and sweet rolls we requested were served up by a white coated steward bearing a silver coffee service on a tray. We didn't have the time to dawdle so we grabbed the rolls and dumped the coffee in our gallon Thermos jug. Still, we appreciated the gesture. Ordinarily we dropped the jug and an empty helmet bag on the hoist along with the mail and parts bag when we visited a destroyer or frigate on our way north, and they ran down to the mess and loaded up coffee and rolls.

  • (just below the bridge, on either side, old quad 40mm AA gun tubs had been closed off, painted aqua and filled with water: twin swimming pools)
Reply to
Steve Caple

Just kill file this rat bag. He's been spamming an Aussie rail group with this type of bull shit too.

Chris Sydney Aust.

Reply to
CD