Re: KATO SD40-2

Hey Folks,

> > Could you please share a quick opinion on the Kato SD40-2 engine [first > prioduction May 1999]. > > Thanks! > Matt

Nice looking, but it needs perfect trackwork to keep it from derailing. Also the circuit board is soldered in place, which makes it a pain to replace the un-attractive yellow LED.

Reply to
Richard Schumacher

Oh, sure, it can be repaired, but a $100+ loco should run well right out of the box. Earlier and later Kato models do not have those deficiencies and I'm very happy with them.

Reply to
Richard Schumacher

My NW2 runs fine, probably because 2-axle trucks are much more forgiving of imperfect track than are 3-axle trucks.

Reply to
Richard Schumacher

Matt,

You asked, "Does this problem also exist with their RSC2's and their NW2 switcher?" The answer is yes. In the email I sent to you today I mentioned the one Kato engine I had for DCC was the RSC2. The NW2 has the same pick up system. For all reading this.....the Kato engines are good running out of the box until you get to DCC. Someone before me mentioned hard wiring the trucks. That is what is needed for good DCC ops. If you depend on the bronze strip embedded in the frame to transfer power to the motor from the bronze contact on the top of the truck....good luck. In DCC ops.....any momentary loss of contact between the two bronze contacts and the DCC system will think there is a short causing the engine to run irradically in a manner that will not be seen in DC mode.

Bob Rule, Jr Hatboro, Pa.

Reply to
EBTBOB

What roadnames? Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Yes.

I certainly have no disappointments related to a specific 'roadname' in that the engines look fantastic [paint and lettering]. We own a UP SD40-2, a UP RSC2, and a Santa Fe NW2.

I am "unhappy" with the information regarding the recommended 'fix' that the SD40-2 requires in terms of its electrical pick-up. Apparently, the RSC2 might also benefit from this 'fix'. Since we do not yet have DCC, I have no means in which to test these electrical pick-up concerns. However, given the number of posters in agreement, I have no reason to disbelieve their assertion.

Another poster stated that his NW2 shows no signs of the troubles he has encountered with his SD40-2. He has concluded that the 2-axle trucks may be more forgiving of track imperfections. Hopefully, his findings are accurate.

Paying in excess of $80 for an engine, I place certain, basic expectations on the item that I have purchased. At the very least, it should operate smoothly, and I should not be faced with additional costs to implement a 'fix' to an engine that is brand new.

That's what led to my statements [the post you responded to] regarding my usual approach of buying second and third releases. I bought these Kato engines blindly [no fact digging], and I am paying for it - literally!

I am not saying that people should pass on Kato engines. For all I know, their newer releases are top notch. However, I certainly suggest that people not buy a Kato engine blindly as I did in this instance. The downside is both disappointing and costly. I will pursue the necessary 'fix', and the end result will most surely be a great engine. I just didn't calculate an additional cost per Kato engine.

I e-mailed Kato voicing a similar diappointment. To their credit, they offered to "examine" the engines under warranty. Exactly what they mean by 'examine' is yet to be determined. Hopefully, it means a 'fix' or a replacement chasis that incorporates a newer, more dependable design for electrical pick-up than the one they used on the SD40-2 version I presently own.

Reply to
Matt Brennan

I'm pretty sure I didn't say that, nor did I imply that. It was a simple question that could have had a very simple, short answer.

That would certainly be a reputation builder for Kato let us know how it turns out. Unfortunately, I expect that they are more likely to insure that it works as well as that design will work and then ship it back to you. It would be nice to be wrong about that.

Good luck, Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

I had the same exact thought. I will explore other options before deciding what route to take with this needed 'fix'.

I'll keep the NG posted. I doubt I will act on this until this coming summer.

Regards, Matt

Reply to
Matt Brennan

I agree completely. So did my dealer, who took back the faulty models without complaint. (He sure has a lot of them sitting on his shelves.) Won't your dealer take them back?

To their credit Kato did learn their lesson, and they went back to using wire connections and un-soldered circuit boards. They kept me as a customer.

Reply to
Richard Schumacher

Matt & Kathleen Brennan wrote, in expression of their disappointment with some Kato models:

I think many of us do similar budgeting. I know I do.

Manufacturers are always trying to reduce expenses, and I'm sure this pickup system was such an attempt. Unfortunately, it apparently doesn't rear it's head until the models have some running time on them. To Kato's credit, they did go back to the hard-wired pickups once this problem was known. However, I heartily agree that it doesn't absolve them from ignoring that the problem exists. A retrofit kit consisting of the pickups with attached wires would probably have been a very smart move on their part. I think they lost a lot of goodwill when neither the acknowledgement or the fix ever appeared.

If you're looking for a specific roadname, that may not be an option.

More R&D and testing will likely affect that $80 price tag you mentioned.

That may be true, but we're here to help! :-) And you're not the first one, either. I didn't know about the pickup problem until after I bought my SD40-2.

Not necessarily true. As I said earlier in this thread, my SD40-2 runs great on DCC after having the pickups hardwired. The potential is certainly there. But as with many things, it may take some "coaching" to get them to reach that potential.

Again, not necessarily true. All it takes are a few pennies' worth of flexible wire and some solder, plus a little time with tools that most modelers already have anyway. When I weighed that against trying to recoup my purchase price, and worse yet not having the model I wanted in the roadname I wanted, the choice was easy.

Amen!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Martinak