Re: Kato Turnout Control Question

snipped-for-privacy@email.ads (Ken Rice) wrote:

>> The Kato switch machine is two-wire design. Appling DC volt in one polarity >> causes the turnout to go to the straight route, and the reversed polarity >> causes it to go to the curved route. >> If I could find some DPST momentary contact push button switches, it would >> be easy to wire up the control panel I desire. Unfortunately, Radio Shack >> only carries SPST momentary contact push button switches, and the few I >> found through Google are very expensive ($13+ each!).

> Is there a circuit design that will control these turnouts using SPST

>> momentary contact push button switches? >> Is there is reasonably priced source for DPST momentary contact push button >> switches? >> Any assistance will be appreciated. >OK, here's a simple method. Wire the switch machines up with a >transformer and no rectifier. Then activate them via a pair of SPST >pushbuttons each, where each of the buttons is in series with a diode, >one pointed each way. Should work, but there might be a question of >inductive effects.

Thanks to all who replied to my inquiry. The above suggestion is the one I used. I am using a transformer from Radio Shack to provide a 12.6 volt ac voltage to two diodes, one in each direction. Two momentary on switches are provided for each turnout, each switch being hooked up to one of the diodes. It works very well with having to add a capacitor. The only problem is some of the switches got too hot when I was soldering the wires and are a little balky. I might have to replace them.

Reply to
Ken Rice

Soldering is a technique of not overheating things yet getting the solder hot enough to melt and bond to the other metals. If you are using a small iron like the Radio Shack 25W iron, odds are that you are going to be melting plastic trying to solder to things. That iron really doesn't hve enough heat production capacity to do a good job on larger stuff. My personal preference for an iron is the Weller TCP iron. This is an iron that is temperature controlled by a magnetic switch in the handle. There are now several different irons out there that do temperature control. The Weller iron is also available at the surplus electronics places for varying prices depending upon the age and which one it is. Next is to make sure that the wires are clean and bright. Then you apply the iron to the wire and also some fresh rosin core solder. I usually use either .031" or .020" thick solder. Larger diameter solder makes the job of heating everything a lot longer proposition and heat is your enemy. When the solder flows over the parts, it is time to remove the iron and cool the joint if necessary. Leaving heat in a joint can make plastic melt later on.

Bob May

Preen, preen.

Reply to
jpurbric