Simple wiring question

I know this is a Basic question but I don't know, so I have to ask.

I have two Atlas turnouts that I've wired so that they are both activated by a single momentary toggle switch. How would I wire in a second toggle switch so that I can control both turnouts from a second location?

Carter Braxton

Reply to
Carter Braxton

Wire the second switch in parallel to the first. Don't push both at the same time when set to opposite positions or a short will occur.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

If you're sure that the switches are momentary, all you have to do is wire the second switch exactly as you did the first, doubling up the wires. Until you get into DCC, which opens up a lot of fun stuff you can do with switch machines, that's the only way to do it. *

Reply to
PV

There are more ways to wire up turnouts than there are badgers - lizards

- corkscrews!

Reply to
Greg Procter

Ok, thanks... I think I can handle that

Carter

Reply to
Carter Braxton

If you change your mindset from a two position momentary toggle switch for each turnout, to a pushbutton for each minor route, you can achieve more practical effects. For example, a two turnout crossover between parallel tracks would appear to need two momentary DPDT toggles, but a momentary pushbutton for 'crossover' and another for 'through' (both tracks) will do the same job. I wouldn't try to operate more than two turnout solenoids with a single momentary switch as variations in coils can cause some to be quicker or slower to operate and the extra current will burn the switch contacts.

A pushbutton that sets a clear route through a station or industrial area can be useful when you're operating alone.

Regards, Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg Procter

Simple BUT with a caution!

Another 'momentary' toggle wired in parallel with the first. The Caution --- Don't ever let two people try selecting a route through that turnout from the 'two separate toggles' at the same time. Lots of Smoke & Fireworks possible.

Chuck D.

Reply to
Charles Davis

There is somewhere on the web a 'smart' capacitor discharge circuit, meant to be used on a one-per-turnout which can be driven in groups from single control switches (or from diode matrices or ladder networks).

Reply to
Robert Heller

I use a resistor (or 16v/1w bulb) 1n4001 diode and 1000uf capacitor for each pair likely to be operated at one time. Each "capacitor discharge unit" can power several pairs so long as they're not likely to be selected immediately. Probably you'd want to use one of these capacitor discharge units per push button but I'm cheap. Recharge time is about 1/2 second, quicker than I can get my finger from one button to the next, and it solves the problem of two operators selecting opposite routes on one turnout.

Yes, there was a circuit in Model railroader (19703/80s) using an SCR/cap circuit to throw remote turnouts - push button current would only be a milliamp or so.

Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg Procter