A question I should know the answer to but dont...

I really should know the answer to this one, but dont....

So here I am on my new macbook, and have a choice between OpenGL and Direct3D. What would you recommend and why?

Ben

Reply to
Ben

Ya what runs solidworks better? In the new macbook I have the card is a ATI Radeon X1600 with 256 ram and I have a choice when running windows to have either OpenGL or Direct 3D, I am not sure which one is suited better to SW. Or is this one of those play with both and then decide situations?

Ben

T> Is this a SolidWorks question?

Reply to
Ben

OpenGL runs by default, if I remember, and that is what I've used, but I've not tried the other option.

Bo

Ben wrote:

Reply to
Bo

True... But is it the best to use?

Ben

Bo wrote:

Reply to
Ben

I am going to guess experience is the best teacher.

Bo

Ben wrote:

Reply to
Bo

SolidWorks uses OpenGL. If you don't have a card that is OGL capable, then SW runs software to emulate OGL hardware acceleration. The emulation is much slower than the real thing.

Of course if you're running SW on a macbook, you're already thumbing your nose at compatibility recommendations. If you're using a mac because of some other software, make sure that it will be compatible with OGL. DirectX is generally a gaming graphics standard (high speed low res)

Ben wrote:

Reply to
matt

Thanks Matt, this is what I was looking for.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Eadie

The worst I can say about the MacBook Pro graphics card & SolidWorks is that I have seen a slight graphics quirk with a small area of screen that doesn't redraw quite right, but it is seldom seen and doesn't bother me or slow me down.

Bo

matt wrote:

Reply to
Bo

I havent encountered this yet ? What section of the screen and in a part assembly or drawing or all three?

Ben

Bo wrote:

Reply to
Ben

The only thing I've seen recently is a redraw which left a short section (maybe 10-20 pixels) of a black edge not drawn black, after the part went into the Isometric view position, but that corrected itself some seconds later.

I can't cite anything that repeats consistently.

Bo

Ben wrote:

Reply to
Bo

The only thing I've seen recently is a redraw which left a short section (maybe 10-20 pixels) of a black edge not drawn black, after the part went into the Isometric view position, but that corrected itself some seconds later.

I can't cite anything that repeats consistently.

Bo

Ben wrote:

Reply to
Bo