I should know better, but forgot if this was possible...

Hey all -

Been using SWx since '96 and I don't do this to often in my business, but can you dissolve assembly features into components? For simplicity sake, a quick example would be, in an assembly suppose you have two parts and you create a tapped hole for a cap screw. The c'bore and clearance hole are in part a and a tapped hole is in part b as it was supposed to be done at this level, but lets say that upon mfg review it was decided create the holes at the piece part level. In this simple example, is it possible to dissolve the feature to their respective parts or do they have to be recreated on each at the part level...

This obviously doesn't happen to me to often, and didn't see anything in the help or when googling...

Thanks,

IYM

Reply to
IYM

When using Hole Series The Holes will exist in the part level but any modification of the holes will have to be made on the assembly level.

Ron.

Reply to
ronsharo

I just came across this alot in the last assembly I created.. In 2009, I can create a feature in the assembly level, and in the Property Manger, at the bottom, you'll see feature scope. From there you can select what components you want to have the feature..

Reply to
tnik

Thanks - This seemed to be what I wanted and was simple enough, but I got rebuild errors all over. The holes would propagate to the first component, but did not exist on the second. When I checked out the propagated hole sketch on the second part, the holes sketch was turned on a different plane. Played around with it a little bit but gave up due to time. When it comes to taking longer to get it to work than it does to do it another way, I have to move on.

I saved a 2nd copy to play around with when time permits...

Thanks again,

IYM

Reply to
IYM

Yea, it was probably how the original sketch was constrained.. need to constrain it to the part you want the feature on..

Reply to
tnik

hmm, I don't know. Basically two plates mated together. Used the hole wizard to drop in #4-40 holes with a counterbore, a clearance hole on the front part and fully constained it and threaded the hole up to a selected surface on the back of the second part. Was fine on the assy... In this instance it was quicker to just add the info on the parts manually, then delete the assy feature, but if I had a bunch of holes and parts all over, I'd have played around a tad longer...

Thanks though,

IYM

Reply to
IYM