I don't know if anyone is in the market, but . . . .

I was looking at something quite different and happened to come across these prices at Grainger's. Maybe Ernie or some other professionals could report on the value of the Fabricators. For the money, I think I'm getting one of each unless the pros all holler junk. Thermadyne owns Tweco/ Thermal Arc / Victor/ and TurboTorch. Please respond.

DanG

John L. Weatherly

Could you not just drop a leg on your 220V 40 amp outlet?

-M

Reply to
mlcorson

Well, I tried to order one (either) and they are both showing as no longer available! Too bad, it was a great price.

Reply to
Curt Welch

It's just a standard 115 V mig welder designed to work on a 15 or 20 amp circuit. It's no different than the Lincoln or Miller machines of the same size in how much current it draws.

Here's the manual:

Check out page 22.

The maximum current is shown as 36 amps for an output current of 130 A with a 9% duty cycle. But further down, you see it's listed as being able to weld at 90 amps and 20% duty cycle on a 15 amp input circuit and the full

130 amps with a 9% duty cycle on a 20 amp plug.

Welding machines with short duty cycles like that can get away with drawing extra amps for short periods. Most circuit breakers are slow blow types that don't pop the instant you go over their rated value so you can pull higher loads for short periods of time like that and not violate any codes. If you turn the voltage and wire speed all the way up and keep welding non stop, you will will either trip the breaker or burn something out.

It's a $500+ machine which was on sale for $200. I'm sorry I didn't act fast enough....

Reply to
Curt Welch

Yeah, I know. I was just goofing on the Sears HP.

Reply to
John L. Weatherly