Technique question

I would use 7018 or 7024 rod and keep the puddle on the plate, letting a small portion of the puddle flow to the tubing. I would also use 3/16" or bigger gussets.

Reply to
Ignoramus13673

I am going to weld a 3" x 3" X .120" square tube on to a 12" square by 3/8" baseplate. I want good strength as these will be the posts for an awning. Would you use 7018 or 7024 rod and keep the puddle on the plate, letting a small portion of the puddle flow to the tubing? I have done this before with 6010 and 6011 rod, but want something that will look better, yet not so hot or large a puddle that it melts the tubing. Anyone done this?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Reply to
RoyJ

i would use a high heat setting and do as you said with the most of the weld pool on the thick plate and a little on the pipe, but i would then turn the welder down a bit and layer a second weld on top of your first with 50% on the pipe and 50% on the other weld.

Reply to
tlnbl