Re: locomotive suggestions

> > > I bought 2 of the Moguls when they came out a few years ago. Recently > got them out and couldn't get anywhere near the slow speed that MR got in > their review. I tore one down, cleaned it, lubed it, etc., and it > doesn't run any better (or worse) than the one I left alone. > > Bob May (IIRC) made a couple of suggestions I'm going to try when I have > the time, but right now I wouldn't recommend them to a newbie unless he > just wants to watch them run around in circles. >

Huh. I have a pair of them too. Had them for oh maybe 4-5 years. Mine run just fine at slow speed. I've put Kadee couplers in the pilot, painted the shiny nickle tender wheels flat black and re lettered one of them for the B&M. Other than that, they are stock and run well for me, at a reasonable price. Detail wise they aren't as quite as nice as my Bachmann Consolidation, but they are perfectly adequate. I see a fair number of them down at the club.

David J. Starr

Reply to
David J. Starr

Dear Sir, I have an old Mantua Booster that I bought at a train show, and it runs well, now that I have replaced its motor with another PM-1 from a worthless 70's Tyco engine. (The Tyco got the growly motor). They are still plentiful on E bay and at train shows, but that supply isn't exactly reliable.

Bowser has an 0-4-0T 'Dockside' in their 'English' line. ready to run and with a can motor. It looks interesting, and some day I intend to order one. It looks like a good base chassis for a kitbashed 1880-era O-4-0T plant switcher. See it here:

The problem with all short-wheelbase engines in switching is that they like to stall on unpowered switch frogs. I would definitely wire a switch to power the frogs. I fully intend to do that to my own some day, but at the moment I just pick up a little speed and coast over.

You should avoid the Life-like Dockside and Tea Kettle. They don't run slow at all, and their unconventional drives don't let you regear easily. I have a Tea Kettle that I remotored with a tape-recorder motor, but I still haven't gotten it to run well.

Cordially yours, Gerard Pawlowski

Reply to
Gerard Pawlowski

Good point. I'll be sure to mention that in the class.

And many thanks to all for your responses. I'll make up a list based on them for a class handout.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard