Bronx Terminal layout video

We've discussed this layout on here before. The trackwork seems to have been completed, but the buildings are only dummies. Now the site has
been updated with a video showing the layout in operation.
Yes, it's American, but it's wonderful, and I recommend viewing it.
It's at http://www.bronx-terminal.com /
--
Jane
OO/HO and DCC in the garden:

Thanks for the link. It's a fascinating prototype, but the layout itself is a fantastic demonstration of the Fast-track jigs these guys make. Propelling long trains around tight curves and through complex pointwork is not easy without perfect track, and wheels. (Although we don't know how many "takes" it took, but as a user of one of his jigs, they are highly recommended).
John

Thanks for the link. It's a fascinating prototype, but the layout itself is a fantastic demonstration of the Fast-track jigs these guys make. Propelling long trains around tight curves and through complex pointwork is not easy without perfect track, and wheels. (Although we don't know how many "takes" it took, but as a user of one of his jigs, they are highly recommended).
John
Always thought the elevated freight line feeding into New York city would make a cracking narrow shelf layout. Currently playing with German stuff (runs well, costs the earth) but thinking of an excursion over the pond (pending better running UK outline N Gauge appearing).
Regards
Mike

What's wrong with (current, new) UK outline N gauge? I don't have any running problems and I certainly do not build my own track.
MBQ

What's wrong with (current, new) UK outline N gauge? I don't have any running problems and I certainly do not build my own track.
MBQ
Haven't bought one for about 8 years now, the Minitrix stuff still runs smoothly, and I have a couple of Japanese shunters that run well, but I have several non operational GF locos from the 1970's and 80's (Jinty 0-6-0T that thows the con rod at intervals, bought when they were new), 0-6-0PT (non runner, cannot remember why), Class 25 (split drive cog, only discovered 2 years after purchase as I was away at sea), Class 25 (one bogie derails a lot I checked the B2B etc, nothing spotted), Class 37 (runs, sort of, not drawing much current but very good slow running, in fact only slow running, very slow). Minitrix 2-6-2 and two 'dock tanks' (which had PT kit bodies) run well in spite of no maintenance for nigh on 20 years, as do the two Minitrix Class 27s and, oddly enough, one of the original GF DMUs (bit noisy but not a bad runner).
I was a carer for ten years, so money was very tight, the Jinty was saved up for and a major dissapointment. When I was at sea I had built up a stock of wagons, mostly from kits, last time I looked there were over 300 assorted goods with about 15 passenger coaches and a few parcels vans, many fitted with MBM couplers, but I just couldn't afford any more locos that didn't work and did not have time or a proper work area to try an sort them out.
I sold my old camera kit and bought a couple of Fleichmann 'starter' sets (both diesel goods) and everything just worked, perfectly - Over time (wincing at the prices) I collected a few more wagons and track (the early Fleichmann track had problems with other makes of stock, I got some 2nd hand and they will go with the German outline stuff eventually). I built a small layout in a shed which ran perfectly, the 7.5 inch curves were a blessing in the small space I could use and the uncouplers work well so I could do a spot of shunting.
Once I start hearing about very reliable UK outline stuff I'll take another look, not least because that is what I want. There are several boxes of UK related material (buildings, rather a lot of kits etc. I still have some 'Treblo' figures and accessories left from my very first set). It'll need to be a fairly big layout to use the rolling stock and buildings. Meantime I have this US outline stuff and think I'll give it a whirl (like the idea of magnetic uncoupling as I can use my stock of MBM magnets). I gather if I use truck mounted couplers they will cope with the tight Fleichmann and Minitrix curves.
So, when the new Bachman stuff with the US type couplers arrives I'll take another look, but I'll wait to hear some pretty positive comments on the locos before I take the plunge and spend the money.
Regards
Mike

I have just taken delivery of some Bachmann US N Scale from Bachmann UK. The two GE 44 tonners are really nice little locos. I only run DCC so these fitted perfectly and tun perfectly. Can't say about DC but the recent MR reveiw seems to think that they run OK. I also had some stock delivered although Bachmann UK's stock of N Scale US freight cars is a bit patchy. The stock looks and runs great but I am not sure about Bachmann US couplers. The GE 44 tonners have 'non-working' couplers on them - i.e. non-magnetic. I have had trouble coupling them up but others on a US forum I go to seem to think they work fine. I am about to replace the couplers with Micro-trains ones so I am hoping that hat sorts my problem out.
Hope that helps.
David

Thanks, it's something I have fancied trying and having been given the seed I really should have a go. The stuff I have does go round the 7.5 inch Fleichmann curves but I am told 10.5 or Arnold's 11 inch curves sould be aimed at for a minimum, so I'll start with an oval, hidden loop at rear and some shunting spurs or sidings at the front serving industries and see how I get on. I do want to return to my first love (British light railways) once the loco situation allows, but the elevated freight line in NYC interests me as a narrow shelf layout, and that might coexist
Regards
Mike

You can check my progress on my blog at http://www.gmrblog.co.uk .
David
David Pennington wrote:

[...]
Current N is much, much better than even ten years ago. I recommend (in no particular order) Kato, Atlas, Bachmann, Lifelike, Model Power. Smooth running, many with DCC, some with sound (pretty well all DC compatible.)
cheers, wolf k.
Jane Sullivan wrote:

Nice!
wolf k.