My layout project's website

Hi,
I hope you all don't mind my posting about my website. I know it's a British layout and the main focus on this group from what time I've been in here seems
to be American but I'm hoping you'll all indulge me! ;)
It's for the layout that I'm currently planning. The website can be found at:-
http://www.shaunsmodelrailway.net
The layout is going to be a British modern image layout in N gauge. It will be loosely based on the town where I live with a bit of artistic license thrown in so that I can get the operational variety that I want.
I intend to record every section of the project and put it online with extensive photos of each stage too (when my camera finally gets delivered that is - bl@@dy Dabs.com!!).
Currently it's at the concept and planning stage with the first draft track plan having just been put online.
I've also put a forum on the site with visitors invited - and welcomed, even - to make suggestions, criticise - constructively please!! ;) - and pick as many holes in the project as they want. I want the best layout I can possibly build and my shoulders are broad enough and I'm man enough to take on board any criticism if it helps and improves the project.
Anyway, I'll stop waffling on about it as you're all probably bored by now!
MRN
Good luck with that.
I plan on doing a similar thing with the two layouts I'm currently constructing. One is N scale and the other is Z (zed) scale.
The N is still in the experimental layout stage, meaning to me, that I've got it all tacked down temporarily to try it out and make sure it's functional as well as fun to operate. Once satisfied I'll lay it down properly.
The Zed layout is much farther along. Pink foam sub, Woodland Scenics inclines and risers along with the track being permanently down. Upon looking through a magazine the other day I noticed that it is basically the "World's Greatest Hobby" layout with slight changes and a few additions. Quite nice really.
That is all for now. Once again Good Luck and keep us posted.
Pete in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Model Railway Nut wrote:

Pete in Calgary wrote:

Will do. Camera is now - apparently - on the way and should arrive tomorrow so I should be able to update the site with picture content by the weekend.
MRN
A nice start. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to the photos and reading about your railroad as it progresses.
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire http://www.billsrailroad.net
MRN:
Oh my golly gosh! It's a British layout that isn't a fiddle-yard-dependent branchline terminal with a coal yard and a station and a name like Tittling Prodsgobbet! WOW!
[SATIRE] <--blinking a la Monty Python
Sorry.
Cordially yours: Gerard P. President, the lately abandoned 1' x 4' fiddle-yard dependent branchline terminal Sparta Railroad.
snipped-for-privacy@gannon.edu wrote:

Satire noted and acknowledged <---- dry British humour alert
On a serious note, the sort of layout you mention is de rigeur for the majority of steam enthusiasts that get their layouts into the railway modelling press but that's not for me.
I like the operational variety - hence the MPD and container handling facility - but I also like to see trains running round the layout more than once every half hour so a bit of tailchasing on the layout was a must.
MRN
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Cheers. As I've just posted to one of the other responders in this thread, I've now got a camera on the way and I will be to add picture content by the weekend - including my first 3 "attempts" at a layout as I've still got them all.
MRN
Model Railway Nut wrote:
OK, my camera has arrived today and I've been trying it out.
What I've done is to take some pictures of the shed, both inside and out, where I want to put the layout.
The pictures are a bit boring but you'll be able to see where it's all going to go:-
http://www.shaunsmodelrailway.net/LayoutLocation.htm
MRN
My layout project website can be found at:-
http://www.shaunsmodelrailway.net

One suggestion, if you want to get a town up in a hurry, is the clay fired model buildings that are sold in gift shops at this time of year. The better ones are rather expensive, but I've seen cheap plastic knockoffs as well, which might be better for your purposes, since you'll probably want to modify them. Wait until boxing day, and you'll likely get 'em on sale.
Most of the subjects have a British or continental theme, so they should blend well. Bring a scale ruler along, but you'll find many are close to N. Don't be afraid of the smaller ones. They can go in the back on a bit of a rise to force the perspective. Works well if you've viewing at eye level.
Mac B.
Model Railway Nut wrote:
Hi all again,
Just an update to let you know that I've added some more photographic content to the site.
I'm also just about to head out to the local model railway shop for some bits - that I thought I already had but didnn't! - and, when I get back, will start construction of some of the lineside buildings. I'll be putting details of the construction process and photos up as soon as I finish them.