Update to my website

Hi all again,

Hope you don't mind me giving you a content update for my website but, seeing as I'm getting over 1,000 visitors on some days, I think there's a little bit of interest in the website!

I've finally added some modelling content to the website - woohoo!. It's nothing too profound though. As I can't get the shed extended until the New Year, I've decided to make a start on the buildings. What I've done, so far, is to try out a technique for painting the brickwork on a model so that both the bricks and mortar show through. I've also made a start on some lineside huts with most of the painting on it done (I'm currently digging around trying to find a pot of white paint to finish the model off. I'm *sure* I had a pot somewhere!).

The content can be found at:-

Let me know what you think of it so far (and I don't want to see any "rubbish" comments please! ;) ).

MRN

The NGS N Gauge Modern Area Group website can be found at:-

My own layout project website can be found at:-

Model Railway Nut

The site looks promising - looking forward to seeing it complete!

Your experiences on painting brickwork were interesting. I think it's absolutely right to spray everything with grey primer first - but be sure it's a primer suitable for plastics. Personally I use regular oil paints for stone, masonry or concrete (or acrylics would be OK) because other paints I've tried come out too shiny. I scrub the first coat into the joints then wipe it off with a turps-moistened tissue so that only the mortar joints are coated. Then the top coat is dry brushed on as you originally suggested. Although oil paint takes a long time to dry it's no big deal and you certainly gain by having the coats remaining 'workable' for a while so you can mix colours 'in situ' to get the mottled blend effect of real brickwork.

Reply to
John Rampling

Great site Shaun! And thanks for sharing your project with us. I'll be following it with great interest because I am planning a N/DCC/Modern Image layout in the New Year. I'm waiting for Santa to award me the new Franchise! :-}

Regards,

Eric Williams

Reply to
Eric Williams

So am I. Hopefully sooner rather than later too.

I used a Humbrol one first off and a Games Workshop one second. They both said they could be used on all plastics. I *nearly* boought a Revell one until I read that it wasn't suitable for the type of plastic I had.

I like the result that is achieved by drybrushing. What winds me up is the time it takes if you want to achieve the best results. I'm not known for my patience!

I really don't like the oil paints. It's just personal preference but I really like working with acrylics. I was dead chuffed to hear that one of the model rail paint companies has started releasing it's range in acrylics too.

MRN

Reply to
Model Railway Nut