Frustrations with XTrkCad

What is it with this program that, when you select 2 pieces of track to join that are a fraction of an inch apart it will connect them by adding a complete circle of track to link the 2 sections? And if you select connect it adds a complete new section of track over the top of one of the pieces of track you are trying to connect?

It's just a shade frustrating to use but it's the only free track planning software I've found that makes even half a fist of doing the job that I want.

MRN

The NGS N Gauge Modern Area Group website can be found at:-

My own layout project website can be found at:-

Model Railway Nut

That word "free" tells the story: you didn't pay for it, so you have no right to wax indignant about its bugs. Besides, complaints about bugs in freeware/shareware aren't likely to inspire the author to do better.

If you want a better program, send the author a nice note telling him how much you appreciate his work, and chunk of cash, too. ($20 is about right, IMO). Ask him if/when he'll release an update. But don't hold your breath. It takes a lot more time to fix a bug than you may realise, and why should the author use any more of his free time?

If you want a less buggy program, bite the bullet, and pony up the dollars for one of the commercial ones.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Wolf, You are doing a disservice to MRN here, he doesn't need another programme to learn but just a bit more practice with the one he has.

MRN, what you describe is, I believe, how its supposed to work, if you go through the demos on joining track what you have seen is all explained, the complete circle comes about because you are trying to create a connexion that would be below the minimum radius. I suggest going through the demos and practicing a bit. As I've only used the programme occasionally I have to do that again each time but it then does what I want.

Regards Keith

Reply to
Keith

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 11:28:07 -0500 in , Wolf Kirchmeir graced the world with this thought:

and for this you're mailing him $20? lol

Reply to
bizbee

And what do you do to express your appreciation for a useful freeware program? Have you registered all the shareware you use? Etc etc etc.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Keith wrote: [...]

You're right of course, Keith. I apologise to MRN and other offended readers for a knee-jerk reaction to what looked like a whinge.

Useful info. I've tried XtrakCad and couple other layout-deisgn programs a few times, and decided that paper-and-pencil were just as fast if not faster for me.

'Ta.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

BULL!!! Now after you've come down off your white stead, the paid program - which is the same by the way - does the same thing! It's all in how far apart you put the tracks and mostly luck i hate to say.

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 20:02:35 -0500 in , Wolf Kirchmeir graced the world with this thought:

Reply to
bizbee

I use XtrakCad and it's a great program. Your problem is you are trying to connect track thea is not aligned. It could also be the way you have your parameters set up. Try turning your easements off. Also join the Yahoo users group with a few hundred members. The first few attempts with the program can bring out the worst in your personality. I did some swearing myself. But once you get it, it's real easy to use. I haven't found any bugs in the program, and I have done a

30' x 50' track plan for my layout. Take it easy at first and just play around with it. Try not to be on a mission. I wish I was in the room with you. I could get you going quickly. I also printed out all the instructions. It's much easier with hard copy. Great program. Would not be without it.
Reply to
redneckmutha