Lionel "O" Series: Glacier Route: NEED HELP

I now have TWO sets of the Lionel Train Glacier Route that I can't get to work. It is an O track (Fastrack?)

My daughter got one for Christmas last year. It worked haltingly, then quit working altogether. It sat all year, and she got it out this Christmas and it still didn't work. I found another on the internet and bought it, thinking it would work... and we could figure out which piece of the original one didn't work... plus she would have double the track, cars, and now spare parts.

We hooked this one up (by itself to make sure it would run) and it doesn't work AT ALL! I've made sure all the connections at each section of track are snug, I have tried switching the terminals (orange and black) at the control module as well as on the track. We get a green light on control module...

and absolutely NOTHING happens! There are two switches on the engine, one for the light or whistle, and the other I think for automatically reversing direction.. (I'm not sure how this works because the whole thing doesn't work)... so I've turned those on and off many times...

Can someone please help? Surely I couldn't have bought two inoperable systems... so it must be something I'm doing incorrectly. Does the engine need a battery somewhere? I've noticed the power supply doesn't get hot, or even warm... yet there is a green light on the control module. There are no sounds, hums or any other signs of life.

Again, please help if you can.

Reply to
acmebulldogs

Should be Fastrack.

This is one of the last starter sets w/ the 40 watt two-piece power system - a power brick and the controller. Is this the system that you now have 2 of? If you get the green light on the controller, then the fuse is OK in the "brick".

Horn.

One is for the direction "lockout" feature, the other is for the horn on/off. Holding the loco with the power truck up, facing the bottom, the left is for the direction, right for horn. Leave them both "on" for now - switched to the left.

No.

The "brick" is very quiet. It won't get warm until it works under load for a while.

Here is the complete manual:

Check to be sure the wires are connected securely to the clips under the Fastrack power section. The Fastrack does not pose any connections issues - if it's snapped, it's good to go.

Whether the engine runs or not, the headlight should come on if there is power on the track.

The weak spot in this set is the controller - the part with the speed knob. You may want to upgrade to the CW 80 transformer - they can be had for less than wholesale as set break-ups on eBay(it lists for $119.99) around $50.00 or so.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Yes, I have two of these exact same systmes. I'm guessing it will be the controller since the headlight does not come on. Everything else should be fine. I'll try to get a new controller. Thanks so much... Anita.

Reply to
acmebulldogs