Re: Looking for ideas

My new layout will include a facility for handling some corn syrup tank

>cars - that is, if I can come up with an appropriate structure / facility.

A corn sweetener producer, a commercial pancake syrup producer, perhaps Mabel's Syrup? Nah.

Jay Americans have the best legislature money can buy. Unfortunately it's corporate money.

Reply to
JCunington

Soda bottling plant, almost any food producer these days.

Don

-- snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net

snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com co-moderator: snipped-for-privacy@Yahoogroups.com

Trainman

Matt, I am doing a food processing plant on my layout, and the plan is to use the Walthers Cornerstone oil loading platform between two adjacent tracks for corn syrup unloading. I'm sure it's not "correct" for that use, but once it's painted up properly it should be a reasonable stand-in.

I will be unloading no more than two cars at a time (one on each track) so a single kit will suffice for me. However, Walthers shows two kits combined into a longer version on their Web site

which might work if you want a couple of cars on each track.

My plant building will be a modified version of the Walthers Red Wing Milling kit. I'll probably also add some vertical storage tanks next to the building but I haven't settled on that just yet.

Stevert

Reply to
Stevert

When you put the Staley plant in at the other end of the supply chain (great chance to model a small old mini-Empire State HQ building, btw), how do you plan to simulate the unforgetable east Decatur aroma of cooking soybeans?

Reply to
Steve Caple

A bottle of Aunt Jemima's. Certainly would be in interesting structure.

Reply to
Corelane

Your favorite candy factory.....

Or if you are into disasters, the corn syrup equivalent of the Boston Molasses Disaster.

Jim Stewart

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Reply to
Jon Miller

Why not smell? Our layouts tend to be compressed and we pack far more operation in to any given period. A Big Boy pounding through with 50 stock cars full of crapping steers may be an experience out in the mountains, but if it comes round every minute, on the minute, in a confined space it could get overpowering! Let's not even think about Diseasel fumes!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Been there, done that. There was a company called, I believe, "Olfactory Aires" that had little vials of odors that you could use about your layout. creosote, coal smoke, etc.

To make a long story short, his business failed.

Reply to
PEACHCREEK

Hmmm... I must say, some rather, uh, *creative* ideas have seen the light of day so far...

Matt

Reply to
Matt Furze

```````` Just found out about this place this evening...

The other outfit mentioned has been long gone.

Paul - "The CB&Q Guy" (Modeling 1969 In HO.)

Reply to
Paul K - The CB&Q Guy

Oh stink train sounding louder Glide on the stink train oh ah ee ah oh ah Come on now stink train, stink train

Bruce.

Reply to
Bruce Favinger