Laser Etching Brass

Can anyone recommend, from personal first-hand knowledge, any company or individual to do custom, laser etching on brass? I have had several dealings with companies and individuals I found on the Internet and thus far I have not found any that I will go forward with my project with. I have CAD drawings ready in any format and only need very limited run....two or three 8X10 sheets at most....but it is highly detailed. This combination of requirements has proven either too daunting or undo-able to all I have contacted so far. Thanks for any input.

Reply to
Randy Smith

Biggest problem is the production run is going to be quite expensive as there is almost nothing but setup time with your project. Finding a small shop where they do that sort of stuff regularly is the best thing. I'll also note that chemical milling may be better for you.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works every time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

Reply to
Randy Smith

As for chemical milling, you may have a look at

I've had Photo Etch Consultants do etching for me several times based on my AutoCAD drawings, some of it rather intricate work. The only errors were those that I made myselv preparing the artwork.

Reply to
Erik Olsen

They do it for a lot of the British etched brass kit manufacturers. Quality artwork produces quality kits and quality engines built from them.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Randy, I not sure that a laser (at the price range you are quoting) could etch metal. I have a friend that has a (10K) machine and it only does wood/certain plastic. If they could do metal I sure it would be in the .001 or .002 range. Setup is not a problem and is done quickly. Load the software and adjust the head. Probably less than 15 minutes.

Reply to
Jon Miller

"I not sure that a laser (at the price range you are quoting) could etch metal. I have a friend that has a (10K) machine and it only does wood/certain plastic. If they could do metal I sure it would be in the .001 or .002 range."

I believe these lasers can etch *into* metal but they can't etch

*through* the metal. That would have to been done chemically.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Laser cutting of steel for items such as frames is commonplace in model engineering. I have a set of frames for a 5" gauge GWR Metro Tank laser cut out of 3mm thick steel plate. The laser certainly cuts right through the material.

For smaller scale models chemically etching brass or nickle silver sheet is common here in the UK. There are hundreds of etched brass loco, coach and wagon kits produced in all scale from 2mm to 10mm scales.

Eric wrote:

Reply to
Dick Ganderton

Randy,

I'm sure I was told some time back that laser cutting of brass is not done due to its high reflectivity which has a detrimental effect on the laser.

Bob.

Reply to
Bob Grime

From a quantum physical point of view, every metal absorbs light at some wavelengths, reflects at most others. The trick is finding a laser whose frequency matches the metal absorption frequency. But again, I'm no physics major.

Jay Americans have the best legislature money can buy. Unfortunately it's corporate money.

Reply to
JCunington