Re: modular board layout suggestions

The modular railroad clubs all have variations on 3x6 or so sized panels to put together for a large layout (often layouts are longer than 100' which can make for the running of long trains). Go search the web for those groups and you will see a number of variations of how to do a module type railroad.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works evevery time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

Plug that into your browser for ideas on HO modules. Typical size is 2x4. All sorts of variations on that theme exist.

Reply to
Corelane

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 11:21:37 -0800, "Bob May" shared this with the world:

We have a few (poorly scanned) photos of the construction of a couple of modules at our club website.

Most modules are 2x4 feet, the corners are 4x4 with a couple of triangle-shapes bits knocked off.

Kent

Reply to
Kent Ashton

Check out

. And also the sites in my sig. If your looking for a modular layout, a free-mo version is the way to go. This way you can build it how you want.

Reply to
John McManaman

John=A0McManaman wrote: Check out

. And also the sites in my sig. If your looking for a modular layout, a free-mo version is the way to go. This way you can build it how you want.

---------------------------------------------------- Wow! What a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

search for "The Sipping & Switching Society of N.C." on google or yahoo. Best I've seen.

---------------------------------------------------- Wow! What a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

G Frix

G=A0Frix wrote: search for "The Sipping & Switching Society of N.C." on google or yahoo. Best I've seen.

---------------------------------------------------- Yep! Thanks for sharing.

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

The GATS show will be in Akron in a few weeks. Come by the Dalmatian Switching District and tal with us. We can show you what and how to make a light weight and durable module (over 8000 miles and a lot of moving).

Dave Decker

ga wrote:

Reply to
dsq

click on the right column specs.

-- Steve Lynch

sectionalized

Reply to
Steven Lynch

Steve, your group obviously excels at model building, your layout shots are great.

However, you need to get a new computer expert. Your scans of the "Spec Diagrams" are so poor that some are totally useless. You cannot read what they are about. Would it be possible to scan them again and post ones we can see and read?

Reply to
<wiley

Steven=A0Lynch wrote:

=A0 click on the right column specs.

----------------------------------------------------- Nice! Thanks for sharing, Steve.

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

Click on the thumbnail and it "loads" the larger "poor" diagram, than mouse over the diagram and click the box to enlarge. Pretty standard IE6 Windoz stuff.... Hope this helps. Steve

Reply to
Steven Lynch

Yep - but the result is still pretty much like a bad photo- copy, with faint and jaggy lines, incomplete letters, etc.

Too much compression? If folks are willing to click on the thumbnail, they probably are willing to put up with a little larger download. The large image was only 4KB - try 40 or even 80 and see what it looks like. Unless, of course, your web host has limits that might be broken by the decent sized graphic files.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Question? How large of a file do you think most folks would care to download? Our club has been kicking the idea around of putting our specs on our web page, but its a 5.5 mb file. Lots of drawings and some photos, with text. It's about 75 pages when printed out. Would most folks interested in this type of info sit still for a file that large????? Chooch

Reply to
chooch

Reply to
Charles Kimbrough

I know about the "Pretty Standard Stuff", but the problem is when I get the full screen gif, it is unreadable. I am attempting to look at fig4.gif right now...

Fig 6, 7 and 8 can be made out, but the text on fig1-5 and 9-10 cannot.

Hope this helps. Will

Reply to
<wiley

Chooch, do the site as a 75 page site, one page for each printed page. It would not take long to load. You could put the graphics/photos in as thumbnail size and set them up to be clicked on for "full size".

You could also put a link to the "Full 75 page book", it could be saved as a PDF for offline reading.

Reply to
<wiley

If they had broadband access, yes; but the suggestions about making individual pages and graphics available for separate download make the most sense to me. Ideally, the text of the specs woud be available, thumbnails of the drawings with clickable larger and higher resolution images available, and lastly the entire document available as a .PDF

Reply to
Steve Caple

I will pass this along to our web guru. Sounds like a plan to me! Hopefully, this should be up by February. We are planning a large update to the website after our January shows are over.

Reply to
chooch

They were photocopies, but the detailed text would let anyone build these. Post your info. Everyone's a critic, I was just trying to help the original poster with info and here we go off on another adventure.... :-)

Steve

Reply to
Steven Lynch