re: OFF Topic: Question about DSL

Froggy, we had cable internet access for a while. It was great! Then Mediaone got taken over by Comcast and they screwed up the account and email, so we left them. We are now on Earthlink.net DSL modem and it is much slower than cable. However, Earthlink just up-dated their servers and it is noticeably faster than it was. You will also need a filter for each phone. they cost about $15.00 each. If you have an alarm service, and one phone line, you will not be able to use the DSL.

DSL has a distance limit. I think that it is around 15,000 feet from some point of the phone company. I haven't been able to determine what that point is, but we are near the limit.

Good luck in your search.

-- From the computer of Frank A. Rosenbaum

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

Comcast is who wants to sell me the cable. They are my cable TV provider and have done OK there. I have been with Mindspring since '95 when I kicked AOL out forever. I was on dial-up until about two years ago when It became possible for me to get DSL. I cannot imagine cable being any faster than DSL, you can't get any faster unless you can predict the future somehow. My DSL is "right NOW!" But, anyway, they claim cable's faster.

...............F>

Reply to
Froggy

Most legit providers give you several filters when you get their modem. If not ask friends who had DSL, they should have some to spare.

And the further you are from the point the slower service gets. now those distances assume perfect lab conditions. In most of the real world, the max distance is 2/3 of the max or less to get decent service. My old PacBell (now SBC) had me at the max on ancient lines, so I couldn't get transfers above 2400 baud (how retro). It took a lawsuit to get me free of those crooks (those in the SBC area VERY carefully consider before signing up with them) Currently I am on Comcast (formerly AT&T) and it is fine. However I do not trust them to keep newsgroups for long.

cat

Reply to
cat

If I had my way, we would have cable. I was downloading from a.b.p.r multi hundred kb files and it would take only seconds. But, SWMBO doesn't want to change Email addresses again, and she pays the bills, so I can't switch services on her.

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

Cable + a newsgroup feed will probably still be cheaper than DSL by itself.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Depending on the hardware and phone company, a length limit is set from 12 to 18 feet. This length is the length of the copper wire running from the Central Office of the local phone company that serves your house, and your house. Earthlink is just using the phone companies hardware and lines and giving you ISP service on top of it. Until recently, if your circuit had been upgraded by the phone company to have some fiber optics in it, you could not get DSL (DSL is an analog transmission on copper). A few parts of the Verizon and SBC territories have had the fiber plant upgraded (the remote terminals in your neighborhood) to move the DSLAM hardware (functionality from the Central Office to the remote terminal).

Radio Shack sell filters, so does Best Buy etc. Or call Earthlink , tell them you need new one get the service to work, and threaten to change if they won't send you one. The filter separates the voice and data traffic on the line by frequency.

Reply to
MrRathburne

I hope you meant 12,000 to 18,000 feet.

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

OOOppppss I was going to razz you about the 12 to 18. Then I noticed Frank's reply and hit post accidently instead of cancel.

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

And you're supposed to be a computer geek? It's looking less and less like that from here all the time

.............F>

Reply to
Froggy

Newhouse)

Geek is not the same as never wrong.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Larry Blanchard ( snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm) wrote: : In article , Froggy says... : > It is of no use to have internet access and still have to pay for a : > newsgroup server in addition to the primary ISP. : > : > : My ISP has lousy Usenet coverage. I'm reading this group from: : : News.CIS.DFN.DE :

News.CIS.DFN.DE has undergone a recent name change...

News Server News.CIS.DFN.DE Name Change

"From: snipped-for-privacy@fu-berlin.de (Vera Heinau) Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers Subject: [DFN-CIS] Change of Name Date: 10 Jul 2003 14:44:35 GMT Organization: Freie Universitaet Berlin Lines: 46 Message-ID: NNTP-Posting-Host: komodowaran.cis.fu-berlin.de (130.133.1.8) X-Trace: fu-berlin.de 1057848275 6124906 130.133.1.8 (16 17 18)

To all users of News.CIS.DFN.DE,

There will be some changes within the organization of the news-service known as "News.CIS.DFN.DE" and operated by the computer center of Freie Universitaet Berlin, Germany.

The computer center of Freie Universitaet Berlin (ZEDAT) has taken over the task of supplying a central news-service for member organizations of the German National Research and Education Network (DFN). As a result of this, the well-known name "News.CIS.DFN.DE" will be used exclusively in connection with this new service (DFNNetNews) from now on.

Individually registered users that do not take part in DFNNetNews will continue to have access to the service using two new names:

- News.Individual.NET (for international users) - News.Individual.DE (for German-speaking users)

Announcements that concern this service will be tagged with "[Individual]" in the subject line.

The change of name concerns both the name of the news-server itself and the URLs that point to the web-space connected with the service:

As the service provided is identical for both servers, it is neither necessary nor possible to register for both.

Note: ===== Existing configurations will continue to work without the need for modification because the technical separation of services will take place internally on the server-side.

We do ask you to follow the new installation guides available via

for future setups though. Please make a special note of the new e-mail addresses for registration:

snipped-for-privacy@individual.net (international users) snipped-for-privacy@individual.de (German-speaking users)

Vera Heinau"

--Jerry Leslie (my opinions are strictly my own) Note: snipped-for-privacy@jrlvax.houston.rr.com is invalid for email

Reply to