Pepper and Salt! (Condiments of the season) :-)

A very merry and satisfying Christmas and a happy new year to all my readership.
And, on the basis that I'm finally getting around to
learning Cymraeg (Welsh), ...
... Nadolig LLawen!
Gareth's Downstairs Computer

How do you say "Not guilty" in Welsh, G? You might want to practice that one, just in case.
--
STC / M0TEY /
http://twitter.com/ukradioamateur
On 21/12/2017 20:04, Stephen Thomas Cole wrote:

That could be useful for others who find themselves in Welsh courts. They may try to avoid cases in Wales but sometimes they won't have a choice.
;-)

Stephen Thomas Cole wrote:

yn ddieuog
On 12/21/2017 3:24 PM, Richard Stearn wrote:

You'll need to do better than that... I don't have my Enigma machine handy!!! ;-)
--
numerist at aquaporin4 dot com

A few years ago, I stoppped for a couple of days at a farmhouse near Carmarten(sp) . Nice people, most Welsh people are. I asked the housewife how she did in Welsh.
"I miss some nuances, of course, I am from North Wales, only been living here for fifty years."
--
greymaus.ireland.ie
Just_Another_Grumpy_Old_Man
On 22/12/2017 08:58, snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

Even in with accents and dialects, not even entirely different languages, you can move short distances and hear differences- if not pick up on there significance. Perhaps less so now people tend to travel more, of course TV, radio all play a part.
As a child, I had relatives who lived within 6 or 7 miles of us and their dialect was quite different. Relatives of a similar age who lived closer didn't show the same differences. At times it really was a bit of an issue.

[snip]

I had a high school teacher who said that her Italian husband's home village had a similar thing: the dialect of the people across the river was quite different.
Sincerely,
Gene Wirchenko
On 12/22/2017 2:24 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:

Back in the bad old days, two houses on different sides of the same freeway... a phone call from one house to the other... was a long-distant toll call !!! That is sort of analogous to speaking dialects !!! :-)
--
numerist at aquaporin4 dot com

I heard about a hotel in California that straddled area code boundaries - it was long distance to call from one end of the building to the other.
The town of Lloydminster sits right on the Alberta/Saskatchewan border. There's some interesting billing there.
--
/~\ snipped-for-privacy@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
On 23/12/17 00:39, Charlie Gibbs wrote:

I know someone that could walk from one side of their house to the other and their mobile coverage would go from Vodafone Holland to Vodafone Belgium.

There's a town on Vermont/Quebec where the library sits on the border and has has an entrance in each country.
--
Pete

On 12/22/2017 7:39 PM, Charlie Gibbs wrote:

I haven't heard that, but it's almost assuredly an urban legend. The phone company is not going to create two separate accounts and run lines from two different offices to the same building.

Is there? Phone companies don't always follow political boundaries (neither does the U.S. Postal Service).
--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle wrote on 12/22/2017 8:18 PM:

I met a kid in college who had a hard time at the state university. He lived in the state, but the post office gave them a delivery address from a post office in a different state. I think it was finally resolved, but they had to bring the deed and other documents. I would think a state drivers license with his mailing address would be enough proof of the state he lived in. The DMV isn't going to give you a license if you are out of state.
--

Rick C

On 12/22/2017 9:33 PM, rickman wrote:

Yes, I can definitely believe that. Even here my mailing address is a city "which" doesn't exist (most of the county, including my "city", is unincorporated). And many people around here have mailing addresses in an incorporated city while living in an unincorporated part of the county, or vice versa.
What we don't have is people in Maryland with Virginia addresses or vice versa, but that's to be understood. There's a river separating the two :) (same with DC and Virginia). But I don't know of anyone in DC with Maryland mailing addresses or vice versa. I wouldn't doubt it happens, though.
But if his mailing address is in another state, how did he get the driver's license? What did he have to do to prove his residency?
--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle wrote on 12/22/2017 10:24 PM:

It was MD and Delaware. I don't know how he got the license. Likely they knew he was in MD because the state knows exactly who needs to pay taxes ect. The University wasn't tapped into any of that so they had their own rules!
You'll have to ask the kid, this was over 40 years ago when I was an undergraduate and U of Md was a very big and bizarre place for me.
--

Rick C

On 12/22/2017 8:33 PM, rickman wrote:

There is a house built right on what is now the current Vermont/Quebec border. You can buy it, live there, and stay out of jail... *iff* you have dual citizenship:
https://tinyurl.com/y78zye3k
--
numerist at aquaporin4 dot com

Charles Richmond wrote on 12/22/2017 10:26 PM:

I heard about a guy who had property on the VA/WV boarder. The exact line between the states had never been defined exactly until the 60's I believe. When the drew the line by his house it put the house in WV! WV demanded he pay back taxes for all the years he owned it! Worse, VA said they wouldn't refund any taxes because their law says once the tax has been paid for some amount of time, you can't dispute it!!!
I seem to recall he got politicians involved and they got a reasonable settlement worked out. Talk about getting screwed!
Of course, this may all be urban legend. I heard this many years ago.
--

Rick C

On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 15:39:08 -0600, Charles Richmond
[snip]

I always thought that that nonsense could have been solved by using a better zone system. A call to the same zone or only one zone away would be local; the others would be long distance. Set the zones to allow for cities and geography.
Would this have been workable?
Sincerely,
Gene Wirchenko
On 23/12/17 13:08, Gene Wirchenko wrote:

I don't often use 'snail mail' in Europe (we are still in Europe) but, as I recall, for some time it has been possible to send a letter within the EU for the same cost as a local one. As I recall, when this was introduced, the rationale was that the bulk of the infra structure was in place in each country and if, for example, I paid more to post to Germany (I'm in the UK) the UK didn't 'hand over' any of the extra I paid to any Post Office 'on route'- in the end it all just 'balanced out'.
Logically, the same must apply for telephone calls. Obviously a 'long distance call' uses resources but, in the round, things balance out. There will be exceptions- areas which have low numbers of travellers etc. but, for most cases, surely the logic applies.
A mobile call in the UK costs the same if the two 'ends' are 50m apart or 300miles. Why not the same for landline calls?