Pepper and Salt! (Condiments of the season) :-)

Yes, they're regulated, but most of them are under price caps, not rate of return. So long as they don't exceed the price caps, the regulators don't care what their capital investment or profit is.
--
Regards,
John Levine, snipped-for-privacy@iecc.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

The "phone company" is usually also the ISP in the modern world. I don't think they really care that much about land-line calls anymore.
On 12/23/2017 2:06 PM, rickman wrote:

You still pay for long distance? We've had unlimited (domestic) long distance on our land lines for years. And that was long before Verizon had competition.
Now they've changed us to fiber - no more POTS line; rather it's VOIP. Works fine (better than the old copper) but the battery dies after about 5-8 hours of power outage, depending on how much we use it.
--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle wrote on 12/23/2017 9:10 PM:

If you have "unlimited" long distance, you are paying for it. I have a land line still but have no long distance. I pay $15 a month which is basically to keep the business number until I decide to do something with it like VOIP. I was looking at Google Voice the other day but I digress... You are most likely paying some $30 or $40 a month to get your "unlimited" long distance. A service that comes with my cell where voice calls are unmetered.
Funny, it was the over charging for long distance that prompted competition in the market and led to the breakup of Bell Telephone. Now long distance is so cheap they practically give it away.
--

Rick C

On 12/23/2017 10:25 PM, rickman wrote:

Not significantly. It's running less than $60 for two lines. But that is actually less then when we had POTS lines and were paying for long distance. But I think it's still too expensive.
My business lines are still POTS and much more expensive (as you would expect) - but they also don't have unlimited long distance. But Verizon is going to force me to go VOIP on those lines, soon, also.
The difference is the copper in our neighborhood is over 50 years old and having a lot of problems. Rather than replace the cable, Verizon installed fiber and now they run everything - phone, tv and internet - over the one fiber instead of twisted pairs and multiple coaxes.
Plus we have more TV channels available than we had with coax.
--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

In the 1980's I knew 2 brothers that lived next to each other. The houses were seperated by a small field maybe 100 yards wide. They were long distance from each other by the phone companies. Each one had a different phone company.
Where I am at now I can not get ATT as its service starts about 1/4 of a mile or less from me. I am on another phone company, or was before I switched over to the internet phone. That was a very good thing for me. I get free long distance, but best of all they block most robot calls. The phone rings once and quits. The number is on the caller ID box and if it really is something I want, I can dial them back. Also it is easy to go on the internet and tell the phone company I want to block a number. I don't do it, but a friend does, you can have the home phone number send it to your cell phone after a few rings.

Our electric is like this. Most of our development is National Grid and our street and one other are NYSEG. Some times this is good, but sometimes we're out and the other streets aren't.
--
Pete

On 12/23/2017 3:01 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Do you mind if I ask which VOIP company you're using (reply by email if you wish). I'm considering switching both my home and business numbers to another company. Verizon has gone VOIP but they're expensive (and have fewer features).
--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

The company is/was Time Warner Cable that was bought or merged with Spectrum. I only had the internet before the merge and it was about $ 60 and the land line phone with another company was about $ 40 or $ 45 or just the basic service. No caller ID and 10 cents a minuit for long distance.
By bundling the internet and phone I am paying about $ 69 per month for both services and that includes a surcharge for the wifi modem and probably because I wanted to keep Earthlink as the ISP instead of going with them which I think is Roadrunner.
https://www.spectrum.com/home-phone.html
They advertise $ 29.99 each for some cable TV, phone , and internet if you bundle them together. There is no contract or anyting. Not sure how long they will hold that price as it has only been a few months. Did not want the TV as using Direct TV and the wife wanted to keep it.
Only drawback I can think of now is if the cable line goes out I have to use a cell phone to call them.
On 12/23/2017 10:41 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Ah, OK. I thought you had gone with one of the VOIP companies. We don't have Spectrum here; there are some places on the other side of the river in Virginia with them, but all we have available are Verizon and XFinity. I think Verizon is the lesser of the two evils :)
--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

You know nothing compels you to get your phone from your internet provider. Microsoft provides unlimited worldwide service for $14.99/month, plus $25 every three if you want a number that people can call. Google has something similar.
On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 23:49:05 -0500

    That is an expensive option unless you make a *lot* of calls, there are providers where you pay for all calls but the rate to most places is under a cent per minute.
--
Steve O'Hara-Smith | Directable Mirror Arrays
C:\>WIN | A better way to focus the sun
On 12/23/2017 11:49 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

I wouldn't get phone service from Microsoft if it were the last company on earth. They're about the only company I consider worse than XFinity in that respect. I don't want a phone that crashes three times a day.
--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

I don't recall Skype _ever_ crashing. This "crashes three times a day" business from people who last used Windows 30 years ago is getting boring.
On 12/24/2017 11:57 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

Even my Windows 7 Professional crashes on a semi-regular basis - at least once or twice a week. Applications crash for no reason even more often. But my Linux system on the same machine never crashes.
And yes, I have had Skype crash enough times I don't use it any more - and haven't fore at least 3-4 years. Maybe it's better now but I don't trust it.
--
Remove the "x" from my email address

In '84 we were on a train to new york from Stamford and the conductor pinned our accent as Paisley area...turned out he used to conduct on the bus between paisley and johnstone before he emigrated ....
On Fr 22 Dez 2017 at 08:58, snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

I think it is Carmarthen. But it is now about 30 years that I have been there, but it was a very nice holiday.
'Andreas