Rheostat ?

Charles Davis spake thus:

Yes, I think I know how transformers, electromagnetism and sinusiodal waveforms work, thank you.

I am happy, and it works just fine.
By the way, transformers aren't "designed" to work with sine waves only; for instance, the output transformers in audio amplifiers (or in the horizontal output circuit in a TV for that matter) handle everything from square waves to sawtooth waves to whatever else the signal happens to contain.
--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself
Charles Davis wrote:

AC side of transformer 17.5v 4a 70w output
Chris
Maybe i'm being to litteral here. But, aren't both sides of a transformer AC?
Are you refering to the secondary (output) side?

7 of those puppies will make your control panel pretty toasty. Are these things to control trains? It's a really archaic control method that doesn't move trains very well anyway. You'd do much better with some kind of transistor throttle, if you choose not to go with DCC.