Rock Island Aluminum Box Car

I found an old Athearn metal kit for Rock Island 40' single door aluminum
boxcar #20060. This was apparently a one-of-a-kind experiment in 1945 (the
built date on the car side) to increase capacity (the car sides are 8"
taller) and reduce weight over typical PS-1 cars. The kit was assembled
well, and only needs the roofwalk end braces reattached and a new
brakewheel. However, the underbody is not finished or painted. As I restore
the car, I wonder whether this car ran on a typical steel frame, or whether
it perhaps had aluminum frame parts? Was the underfame also aluminum color?
I notice the bottom edge of the sides with the tabs over the ends of the
frame ribs was painted black by Athearn, suggesting the underbody perhaps
should be black. Does anyone know of photos or reference articles on this
car? GQ
Reply to
Geezer
On 1/14/04 7:52 AM, in article TQbNb.34941$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.> I found an old Athearn metal kit for Rock Island 40' single door aluminum
Sunshine has just recently released a resin kit of this car (also used by M&Stl, GN and others). I have two jpgs of that kit, road number 20065. I also have the kit (unopened as yet) at home.
Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni