MDC drop all UP products

found this on another group.

MDC is droping all road name that required a Licensing fee. Going to a lot less engines and cars for us now with the MDC stopping sell road name that require a fee and the problem with Athearn/Horizon. Who is going to pick up the slack?

John binford

Reply to
wearing fire retardent suit

It just may be that greed will lead to a slow death of the hobby.

Larry Madson

Reply to
larry madson

FWIW, I don't see anything about it on their website.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

I submitted a question to MDC about it; will respond to the group if/when I get an answer.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

You are wise to check things out first hand. I've been burned many times believing something I read on internet message boards. No more!

Kent in SD

Reply to
Two23

If they do drop them it won't matter to the UP. Of course, the cry babies here will throw a tantrum but facts are facts. It would only bring down the hobby if (1) UP wins its court issue on fallen flags and (2) all other roads follow suit, which will probably happen. For me, I have more than enough trains anyway. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

I have a thought if this is true. Of course, by not making any item they have to pay a license fee on, MDC will be putting up a protest against the UP. This is fine but they will eventually have to quit. First, the impact of the loss in sales from these items will be much greater than any effect on the UP. Secondly, if the UP is successful in obtaining the rights to all roads, and other roads follow suit, which stands to reason, then MDC will have even more product they won't make. In the long run, if the major railroad in the USA all follow this lead, MDC will be forced to decide between making the models with fees or going out of business. They aren't going to stay in business long selling just short lines and National de Mexico. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Jerry message: I got mine, f all of you newbies!

Reply to
MrRathburne

I sent an email asking MDC and their reply was: "At this point in time, anything is possible. MDC"

Reply to
wannand

Seems to me that some decal/transfer maker should start making Gorre and Daphetid, Allegheny Midland, Virginia and Ohio, Chesapeake Bay and Western, Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont, etc. markings and let us be real model railroaders. Gene ABV61-1043.001.HCB

"Skinny Dipping and Other Stories" On the web at
or
and look for "Into Joy From Sadness" soon.

Reply to
STEAM GENE