Rock Island, Maytag & the Chinese

Today I saw that a company from China is making a bid for the American oil and gas company Unocal. But even more interesting was the note that in
addition to a Chinese outfit going after IBM's PC business an investment group headed by a Chinese firm was in the process of purchasing Maytag. Now doesn't Maytag own what ever assets or rights there are to the Rock Island? It would be interesting to see Chinese manufactures making models of a US Railroad paying licensing fee's to some other Chinese guys who own the US railroad. Bruce
On 6/23/05 4:16 PM, in article QEFue.1334$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com, "Bruce Favinger"

Apparently, Maytag let rights to the Rock Island trademarks slip, so they are now free of encumbrance. Kind of like "It's A Wonderful Life"; the studio let the copyright lapse. TV stations picked up on the free movie, and the rest is history.
Now, if we could get EVERY manufacturer to make tons of RI stuff, the analogy would be complete, and I would be in hog heaven.
--
Brian Ehni
(modeling the RI)

Brian, I guess we will just have to wait until some Chinese outfit buys the UP. That would make for an interesting twist on the Building America program. Bruce

    Since they are already building Chevrolets (some "New American Revolution" they are. A little red book in each car =^-^= ) and Cadillacs as well as parts for some of our military equipment, that day might not be far off.
                            cat
One of the true joys of capitalism is that everything is for sale at the right price. Savor the irony.
C. H. Allen