Screeching Anna :(

\online_life\anna

Just bought this loco (Anna) second-hand. Was told it is in "Good running order"...

However it screeches like a banshee..

In case I need to send it back I'd rather not start dismantling it.

Anyone have an idea what is causing the screeching?

It runs OK without any screeching at top speed but at low to mid it's as noisey as hell.

Sometimes stutters forward at low to mid speed also.

Made short video and wave file. Can be seen here:

\online_life\anna

Thoughts appreciated.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Pete skriver:

Flesichmann with the old motor.

Motor bearings needs lubrication, a tiny drop of oil. Remove the body, apply power to the loco and put a tiny drop of oil on each motor bearing. Then the noise stops.....

Yep, exactly the sound of missing lubrication...

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen

Pete wrote: [...]

Your webpage causes Firefox to generate errors, and Windows closes it. What program did you use to create the web page????

As for the screeching: that almost always means a dry motor bearing. There's probably just enough old, oxidised lube that at high speeds the heat generated softens it a bit so that the screech disappears. Anyhow, don't run it when it screeches. Take off the body, and apply a very little light, plastic compatible oil to each motor bearing. Let it soak for a few seconds, then run the engine slowly to distribute the oil. If the screech persists, add a little more oil. Also add a heavier oil to the gears, and the light oil to the wheel bearings.

If you see a lot of greasy dried up gunk around the motor bearings or gears, the engine should be throughly cleaned before you relubricate.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Wolf Kirchmeir skriver:

Funny, My Mozilla 1,7 works fine...

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen

Cheers folks.

Glad I asked before I went off moaning to the seller - I like the look of this little engine :o)

I'll give it a bit of lube and see how it goes.

Not sure why that happens. I don't like embeding windows media files but I used the absolute basic level of html possible to do what I needed. (I test on IE and Opera so should be sound..)

However. if you just want to look at the video it can be downloaded as divx direct here:

Photo of this lovely little engine here:

Wave file here:
\online_life\anna\screeching_anna_01.wav (50KB)

Sorry for the crash :)

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Wolf Kirchmeir said the following on 07/06/2006 15:51:

Not here it doesn't, with Firefox 1.5.0.4

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Pete skriver:

Proberbly very well I have saved your "screeching"video for later use. Is it okay that i use it at my own webpage some time in the future?

I have plans for a "tips and tricks on repair of engines", but it is currently at hold....

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen

Pete:

Anna's cute! :) Seems as though she screeches more in reverse... what is the drive like? Is it a vertical motor in the cab with a worm drive? If just lubing the bearings won't do it, check the motor end play. Too much can cause vibration and screeching -- a few shims between armature and thrust bearing can cure it. Excessive play can also cause the bucking you seem to be describing.

My Mantua Booster used to do this; in that case the bearings were just worn out. Shims helped it but didn't eliminate it completely.

Cordially yours: Gerard P. President, The Sparta Railroad

Reply to
pawlowsk002

snipped-for-privacy@gannon.edu skriver:

Typical Flesichmann, the "rundmotor"

a german class 55, same drive)

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen

Klaus:

Hmm. Das ist nicht ein Schneckenantrieb. :) And if I say any more in German I'll just get lost...

Well, if it's not a worm drive he shouldn't have the end-thrust problem..I'd check the end play anyhow, as the armature may be randomly vibrating back and forth. I'd also make sure the bearings aren't too worn out, and that the motor shaft isn't bent, and for good measure I'd look at the brushes. If lubrication makes the noise go away,of course, there's no need to check any of this.

Cordially yours: Gerard P.

Reply to
pawlowsk002

That's probably it. I've unloaded MS's most recent Windows Media Player because it's DRM enabled. I use a couple of other media players instead. If that means I can't see DRM protected files, too bad for those who make them. I don't _need_ to see them, right?

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

I don't have the latest WMP 11 as it is for XP SP2 and I opted not to downgrade. :))

It was made by encoding from Motion JPEG (DV Camera) to DivX (I would normally use XVid but just for widest compatibility I used DivX) and from that to WMV (WMP Ver 9) using STOIK.

I would prefer to embed XVid but suspect even fewer people would see it.

I do quite a few little humorous vignette type videos but aimed at individuals.. Maybe if I do anything to share more generally I'll add the embedded WMV to a second page as an option and just downloadables on the first page.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

snipped-for-privacy@gannon.edu skriver:

You're right, das ist "rundmotor" as Fleschmann called (calls) it. I belive they still produce som loco's with it.

I can recommend the movie "Top Secret" for you :

Val Kilmer compliants that he's not so good at speaking the german language, wherafter Lucy Gutteridge answers "Thats okay I only know a lillte german too - he's sitting over there"

Lubrication makes the noise disappear. We have around 10-15 Flesichmann trains running at "my" model railroad (see first link in signature). When they needs lubrication they sound excatly like Pete's little Anna.

One drop of oil at the "bearing" made of "bronce" and the noise is gone.

Some of our Fleischmann's with the old "rundmotor":

Sorry the text is in Danish, you proberbly understand geman better than danish...

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen

Gerard

I like her.. but I like the HOe narrow gauge stuff. Slightly similar look (eye of the beholder and all that..).

That's the one. Not enclosed and looks hardly any different to any other cheap DC motor.

After some messing around (this is my first Fleischmann and first fix job since I was a wee child) I got everything lubed up and it still screeched though ran a bit smoother..

... So I pulled the brushes (once I twigged they needed some brute force), stretched the springs slightly and cleaned and turned the carbon around (they were quite greasy and bitty \ gritty) and that for the moment seems to have done the job.

The spindle doesn't seem too wobbly and the brushes were at least 3mm long.. Guess I'll get a few new brushes just to be on the safe side.

It was quite fascinating (I'm a newbie :o) to do and damn frustrating trying to find one of the springs as it pinged off onto the floor....

I've still lots to learn about bearings and shims n stuff.

Cheers

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Pete skriver:

Worm drive ?

I'm surprised....

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen

Klaus,

You are very welcome to use anything except my identity :). If using the WMV then take a look at the source of the actual web page (its inside a frame redirect). It uses two methods for embedding. Both are needed for compatibility with IE and Opera (at least.)

Shame I have now seemed to have fixed Anna (see my other message) as I would have done you a better, sharper take..

I'll be taking her apart again tomorrow to clean up any excess oil. I'll take a picture of the motor and add it to the page with a scan of the service leaflet. (I'll let you know via this thread when it is up there.) You can take a copy of those too if you want as I probably won't leave the Anna page up for too long.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Pete skriver:

I'm very gratefull....

In case you need service leaflets, Arnold has a great page (mainly european)

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen

and my Thunderbird 1.5.0.4 worked fine also

Dave

Reply to
Dave Strebe

Pete:

It's a shame you requested this post not be archived; service questions like this probably should be, as the 'screeching model motor' problem is far from rare. I search the Google Usenet archives all the time for questions like this. I'd have missed a lot of information about goats and haggis if not for the archives.

Cordially yours: Gerard P. President, The Sparta Railroad

Reply to
pawlowsk002

Pete wrote: [...]

[...]

OK, DivX I can handle, but I don't have a Moz plug-in for it.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir