SF Broadway-Limited 4-8-4

Looks like a motorcycle to me...I should think Christian could tell the difference, what with him having all those bugs in his teeth...

Jeff Sc. Windblown, Ga.

Don't bother to reply via email...I've been JoeJobbed.

Reply to
Jeff Sc.

Steve Caple wrote: >

Now there's a funny thing - I bought a copy for my father, who like me was very impressed by the exquisite illustrations featured in the book. But I don't think that either of us ever realised that it was intended as a book!

But I would certainly agree that it's an excellent introduction to steam engines for younger readers.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Steve Caple wrote: >

Now there's a funny thing - I bought a copy for my father, who like me was very impressed by the exquisite illustrations featured in the book. But I don't think that either of us ever realised that it was intended as a book!

But I would certainly agree that it's an excellent introduction to steam engines for younger readers.

What I particularly liked about it was the emphasis on people - the human aspect of locomotive construction. The description of the various tradesmen and their craft stirred vivid recollections of my apprenticeship.

Reply to
Mark Newton

A couple of points here. BLI has, and its literature indicates, two levels of models. Before comparing one to another, check the level of the model. It's not fair to judge a mid-range by top-range standards. Since I have absolutely no interest in an oil-fired ATSF locomotive, I have no idea which range the 4-8-4 falls into. Secondly, BLI selects a time to model. I have one of their USRA heavy Mikes lettered for Milwaukee Road and I'm very happy with it. But it's lettered with the "as delivered" numbers and not the late steam that I really need. So should I renumber it for my era? If so, which modifications would I have to make to make it authentic? Don't know. Gene ABV61-1043.001.HCB

"Skinny Dipping and Other Stories" On the web at
or
and look for "Into Joy From Sadness" soon.

Reply to
STEAM GENE

Oh come now. That's beautiful steam! Hedlamp on the pilot deck, air pumps hanging on the steamchest front, Twice as many sand lines as any other, Elesco feedwater heaters, Vanderbilt tenders, and big! -- what could be finer? Gene ABV61-1043.001.HCB

"Skinny Dipping and Other Stories" On the web at
or
and look for "Into Joy From Sadness" soon.

Reply to
STEAM GENE

It is an air pump--already established--but I've been curious ever since I saw the real 3751. Why is there a third airpump at all, regardless of its weird location? It must make for a noisy ride for the fireman.

Reply to
Ivan Abrams

Reply to
Jon Miller