Shanks on couplers

I see knuckle couplers advertised with long, medium and short shanks. Is there a way to tell which I need? I live over 100 miles from a hobby shop, and the opportunity to look at these things is rare....

Thank you.

Don H.

Reply to
Don Harstad

Go to kadee.com - or specifically to pages like this one:

for coupler conversion (or applicability).

Reply to
Steve Caple

Many thanks. That's quite a resource.

Don H.

Reply to
Don Harstad

On 3/3/2008 12:33 AM Don Harstad spake thus:

That's one way to go, assuming you can find the model you want to fit in that chart. The other would be to take one of their standard couplers (a #5) to your model and see how it fits. If it sticks out too far, you need a short-shank coupler; not far enough, a long-shank one. (Likewise for overset- and underset-shank couplers, regarding coupler height.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Simple...practical...efficient. I suspect that's why I didn't think of it myself!

Thank you.

Don H.

Reply to
Don Harstad

The short shank is just a redemption! boom ching...

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

There is also a coupler sampler kit available. I use that a lot...

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

Really, they aren't that expensive that one couldn't keep a small supply of each laying around. I think I have shorts, regulars & longs in high, center & low versions. That's only nine different choices and at a few bucks for each package, it's cheap insurance, especially when you are so far away from a hobby shop.

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

Very true. Frankly, the gas for one round trip would buy a fair supply via the net.

Don H.

Reply to
Don Harstad