Kadee couplers for LL diesels

Can someone here tell me which coupler kit I need to change out the N scale diesel loco made by life like ? The diesel is a BN GP38 and the item nnumber is 7841

Thanks Jim

Reply to
jim

Jim,

Micro-Trains No. 1015 is what you'll need.

Best regards from Milwaukee, WI U.S.A. Gregory Braun

E-Mail: snipped-for-privacy@GregoryBraun.com Web Site:

1.414.817.6508

Slot Cars:

Track:
Ancient of days! august Athena! where, Where are thy men of might? thy grand in soul? Gone--glimmering through the dream of things that were.

--Byron

Reply to
Gregory Braun -- HO Slot Car Racing

"jim" wrote

----------------------- Jim,

Micro-Trains No. 1015 is what you'll need.

Best regards from Milwaukee, WI U.S.A. Gregory Braun

----------------------

Incorrect. The MT 1015/16 is for the more recent N scale releases with body mount couplers.

The Lifelike GP-38 is an old design piece of junk with open pilot and truck-mounted (Talgo) couplers. It takes the MTL-1035.

Better advice would be to not waste your time and money converting it. Throw it away and buy one good, decent quality diesel.

Reply to
Dont Know My Name

Jim,

Go to the MT coupler conversion website -

The LL GP38 engine has been produced in at least two variations:

o - Truck mounted couplers - Use the 1135 conversion set o - Body mounted couplers - Use the 1128 - 1129 -1130 sets. These 3 sets have short - medium - long shanks so you can get around things like snow plows, etc... The 1015/1016 sets are body mount and usually are used with Atlas & Kato engines - The above web site has the 'good' info!

Jim Bernier

jim wrote:

Reply to
Jim Bernier

"Jim Bernier" wrote>

"The LL GP38 engine has been produced in at least two variations:"

While I can't argue absolutely that this is incorrect, I've never seen one with body-mounted couplers. When did this happen? They're more than 60 of them (Lifelike GP38-2) offered on eBay right now, none that appear to have body mounts. Also, the MTL website doesn't offer a coupler conversion for a Lifelike GP38 w/ body mounted couplers.

" Body mounted couplers - Use the 1128 - 1129 -1130 sets. These 3 sets have short - medium - long shanks so you can get around things like snow plows,etc.."

This is just plain *wrong*. The 1128/1129/1130 series couplers are for replacing truck-mounted couplers:

"The 1015/1016 sets are body mount and usually are used with Atlas & Kato engines - The above web site has the 'good' info"

While this is correct, it neglects to mention that the 1015/16s also fit Lifelike's most recent releases with body-mounted couplers. I don't agree with Jim B's recommendation of the MTLCo.,Inc website either:

Their website is poorly organized with many errors (granted, they've been trying to clean it up). Their downloadable databases have a tremendous amount of errors, greater than 10%.

Without argument, this vendor's website is your best N scale resource:

(especially for pictures) This is not a recommendation, as I have never bought from him because of his prices and shipping policies. I wouldn't recommend any dealer as they all have some short-comings.

Reply to
Dont Know My Name