Which 0-6-0 ?

Salvé
To the members of this august body....even if it is the end of October.....
in the opinion of the group , which is the best running ( especially
slowly)0-6-0. steam loco, preferably prenationalisation?, company and area
of operations are not important! RTR N and 00 ( pity there arent any H0, no
need to mention the non existent 0 scale :( mind you any input on live steam
would also be welcome :) radio controlled indoor live steam 16mm certainly
make the idea of dcc pall.... :) now which wall to knock down..........
Beowulf
Reply to
Beowulf
I'd be interested in the N - My old farish stuff runs fine, the two more recent ones basically dont run at all, waiting to hear before I risk buying a Bachman example
Reply to
Mike
I have a Bachmann 00 J72 (LNER). When it's been out of use for a while, when first put on the track it runs very slowly and emits smoke (from the cab, not the chimney). It must be getting oil on the commutator - I've tried disassembling it (not easy) and can't figure where it's coming from. Anyway, once whatever it is has burned off, it is a very smooth runner with good low speed control (5-pole motor).
Reply to
MartinS
Beowulf
If you can wait a while, the new Hornby Q1 could fit your bill. If it has the same slow running characteristics as the Black 5 and 8F, then it should be a winner.
-- Enzo
I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.
Reply to
Enzo Matrix
The Hornby terriers run very well and very slowly,
Reply to
Gene
All, I run Hornby 0-6-0 "Terrier" Tank engines - reliable slow-running. Formerly made by Dapol. Tony
October.....
Reply to
Anthony Geering
In message , Beowulf writes
I can think of at least one RTR (but now obsolete) HO scale 0-6-0, and that's the Lima 4F. Its running qualities leave a lot to be desired however.
Reply to
Spyke
The Union Mills models in 'N' gauge are also good runners. All of their models seem to based around the same tender drive unit, That said you can get ex LNER j39, j38, j25 and j26 0-6-0's. Reasonably good control at low speeds, but more sensititive to the controller than farish.
As an aside LIMA at one stage produced the LMS 4F 0-6-0 in N, HO and O gauges.
snipped-for-privacy@notigg.not.no wrote in message ...
October.....
Reply to
Clive Burdikin
The message from "Clive Burdikin" contains these words:
ITYM "They produced an LMS 4F 0-6-0 which ran on N gauge track". It was seriously over-scale, especially when coupled to a LIMA Mk.1 coach which was rather under-scale. They also made a Deltic which also had problems with scale-inflation...
They all went in part-ex for something more suitable: the 4F was replaced by the GEM (IIRC) 4F kit which looks absolutely right (to my eyes), the LIMA coaches were replaced by Grafar Mk.1s. The Deltic was swapped for cash - I don't need a diesel loco.
I'm still using a couple of LIMA Siphons in the parcels train, so not everything was totally bad (although I think I changed the bogies).
Reply to
David Jackson
Bachmann OO Blue Riband GWR 2251 Class 0-6-0 and 8750 Class 0-6-0PT are both good runners in my experience.
David
Reply to
gwr4090
"Beowulf" wrote
October.....
But there is an r-t-r O-scale 0-6-0 - admittedly expensive and in brass, but Bachmann do a 7mm scale ex-MR 4F 0-6-0.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
Tomix (out of Japan) makes a very smooth-running 0-6-0T in N scale, and there are both small coaches and an assortment of freight wagons (open and closed) available for it to pull. If you are going to repaint anyway, you probably won't mind the bright blue color - or the Sodor Island RR livery...
Might want to do something about the face on the front, tho....
Reply to
Joe Ellis
And the O-gauge one had all the obvious faults in the N and OO versions, scaled up.
It had the same flat 3-pole motor that their OO stuff had. But the boiler - ugh. It wasn't even round but flared downwards - which was excusable in the smaller scales to fit around a mechanism. But in O-gauge where there was plenty of room for one? And the flared skirt stopped with a gap above the footplate. Shudder.
Reply to
Christopher A. Lee
The finest running, and detailed, plastic 0-6-0 in the World is the Life-Like Heritage 0-6-0. It runs so slowly, that if you don't shut the throtle (controller) completely "off", it'll creep ever so slowly along the track.
Unfortunately for you UK modellers, the loco is a USRA 0-6-0 switcher built in the U.S. of A around 1919.
Look and weep.
-- Cheers Roger T.
of the Great Eastern Railway
Reply to
Roger T.
Hi Roger, You've overlooked Brawa's Württemberg Fc class 0-6-0!
Regards, Greg.P.
"Roger T." wrote:
Reply to
Gregory Procter
"Gregory Procter"
Didn't know about it.
Any idea how it compares to Life-Like's 0-6-0?
I have one of the Life-Like ones, engine number 25 on my photo album, so I know it runs like a Swiss watch.
-- Cheers Roger T.
of the Great Eastern Railway
Reply to
Roger T.
You mean it jerks forward and stops 60 times a minute? ;-)
Reply to
MartinS
Does that mean we need a second opinion?
Reply to
Christopher A. Lee
"MartinS" <
Good one Martin. :-)
-- Cheers Roger T.
of the Great Eastern Railway
Reply to
Roger T.
"Christopher A. Lee" <
Does that mean we need a second opinion?
Good timing.