Re: Model Railroading - what is it?

> > Or am I in the wrong hobby? I can't seem to find the rec.models.diorama > group... > > Karl

You are in the right news group. Model railroading is a many faceted hobby. Construction of model rolling stock, electrical wiring, DCC and signaling, structures, track laying, scenery, painting of backdrops, photography, both model and prototype, rail fanning and prototype research, painting and weathering, tinplate collecting, live steam, and operations. Some of us concentrate more on one facet than upon others. Some folk on this news group will advocate the facets of the hobby that they enjoy, attempting to gain converts. As in any endeavor, there are controversial subjects, discussion of which sometimes generates more heat than light. Fidelity to prototype vs free lancing, NMRA standards for wheel and track dimensions, sniping on E-bay, off shore manufacturing, tinplate vs scale, the price of brass (and other things), the demise of the retail hobby shop, RTR vs scratch building, and of course, everyone's favorite scale. Welcome to R.M.R. and feel free to tell us how your railroad in coming along.

David J. Starr

Reply to
David J. Starr

Nope. There are many different ways to get your jollies in the hobby, eg, three (there are more, this is for example only) types:

Operation fiend - scenery and details second to operating. Probably has good trackwork and wiring to make operation more, um, enjoyable.

Loco/car builder - detailed to the nth degree, prob has 6 foot of track. Running qualities optional.

Rembrandt - loves the scenery stuff, limited trackwork, locos/cars may be mildly detailed to fit in with the "picture".

Anybody here want to say any of them ISN'T a model railroader?

Steve Newcastle Oz (with delusions of belonging to group 3)

Reply to
Steve Magee

In article , TDCLoki writes

Absolutely not. I too have very limited interest in accuracy of operation. I'm not even all that bothered about accuracy of track layout, which is a good thing as I'm told my station entrance is utterly wrong from a prototype point of view.

I enjoy the creating process, and I like to fiddle with the electronics side of things (hence

Robert Pearce

I would say, what one gets into model railroading for is a matter of one's personal tastes.

I admire those super-detailed models / scenes...but I do not have the patience, or the eyesight acuity to do them myself. I like to have models of trains that I remember in my lifetime, from my youth to my present age....fortunately, there IS a good selection of what I've liked now available.

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

Steve Magee wrote: > Operation fiend - scenery and details second to operating. Probably > has good trackwork and wiring to make operation more, um, enjoyable. >

I know people who fit into all three groups and I would argue they are all valid forms of modelling. I was indoctrinated into railways by a member of the first group, whose railway (which has _no_ scenery) exists purely so the timetables and bells can work.

Cheers David

Reply to
David Bromage