Size larger than 'O' Scale?? Double Aught Buck?? LOL

A friend once had a model railroad running around his entire yard. It was bigger than O and highly detailed but I cant remember what scale it was.. I'd ask him but unfortunatly he's gone to the roundhouse in the sky.. Does anyone know? I saw something called simular in the local hobby/crafts store Bachman I think it was. It looked larger than O Scale but not sure of how readily available the parts are they only had one kit with a Loco, Cars and a few feet of track.

Basically I'm looking for something to run around my yard too.

Reply to
Randyn3lrx

Probably G

-- Excuse me, I'll be right back. I have to log onto a server in Romania and verify all of my EBay, PayPal, bank and Social Security information before they suspend my accounts.

Working the rockie road of the G&PX

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Coolness.. Tnx. I know it was really cool. Not only was it detailed visually but all the rolling stock made life like sounds not just looped audio. Chances are I'll be building an N Scale in the house as well.. Kinda odd I'd even consider setting one up since I have a Life sized railroad (Norfolk Southern) that runs right through the back of my property.

What can I say, I'm a die hard train geek.. LOL

Reply to
LRX Railfan

On 9/2/2007 11:03 PM LRX Railfan spake thus:

*Through* your property or next to your property?

I once owned a house which included part of a creek running through it, but yours sounds like an even cooler easement.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Well, Not exactly 'through' the property I've got a little over a half acre in the back yard and the rails are about 15 feet from my property line directly behind the house. So I can sit in my kitchen and watch those metal dinosaurs roll on by. Having a Whistle Post only yards away I even get a few seconds warning. :) Its pretty cool. I thought about building a mock switch tower in my backyard so I could have an all weather observation tower along side the tracks. ;) Amtrak and the occasional freight runs on another line which is also about 2 blocks away to the front so I hear trains from the front of the house too. Can't see them from the house, but I can hear them. Trains, trains, everywhere!

It's amazing, what some would consider detrimental to property value only raises the sentimental value to others. As the story goes, one mans trash is another mans treasure.

Reply to
LRX Railfan

"LRX Railfan" wrote

Heh. There are several brand-new million-dollar homes for sale about three miles from my home and only a few hundred yards from where the Union Pacific Railroad tracks cross the road. Seems the owners built those homes and moved in before they realized that somewhere around 100 trains per day pass through the grade crossing there, and every one of them is required by Federal regulations to blow for the crossing. (How could they have known? After all; the tracks have only been there for a hundred years...)

Maybe the disgruntled owners should put ads in "Model Railroader" and "Trains" magazines? I can see it now:

"New, custom-built four bedroom, five bath home on five acres, overlooking Union Pacific (formerly Southern Pacific) mainline through scenic San Timoteo canyon on famed Beaumont Hill! Forty foot pool overlooking tracks, zoned for livestock, ideal for nature lovers, pristine! Price recently reduced!!"........

Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling

Bill

The owners are probably Southern Pacific fans and now that SP is gone, so is their interest.

History of N Scale:
's Store--Books, Trains, and Toys:
to 1,200 sites:

Bill

"P. Roehling" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Trains every 15 minutes and they didn't notice it when they were looking at the place? DOH!

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

When I lived in the Bay Area, in Union City (near Fremont) and was looking to trade up from my condo, all the new developments in my price range (and many beyond it) were in previously unused land close to the UP and SP tracks.

I stayed in the condo.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

"Bill" wrote

Nah. There are still a few "fallen flag" gray S.P. units based in olton -albeit with U.P. numbers- and you still occasionally see one or more of them traversing the canyon mixed in with the more common U.P. units.

But it probably won't be much longer 'til they're all gone.

Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling

"Gray Ghost" wrote

Heck, there's a new subdivision ten miles south of me that was built just off the end of an active Air Force base runway.

Wanna guess what the new homeowners *there* are complaining about? (How do you miss an entire Air Force Base?)

Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling

Years ago, I lived just north of Paola, KS on a 20 acre parcel. An old Frisco line right-of-way cut off 3 acres. When I moved in the tracks were all rusted over and hidden by weeds. The crossing was covered with gravel. Within a month of moving in the BN started running a freight at

1am and 1pm.

I was dating a woman who woke me up because she thought we were about to get wiped out by a tornado. The night train ran down hill but, since it was very quiet it was more noticable than the afternoon train. The night train never sounded the horn.

I miss that place. Some pictures were posted recently on the pictures.rail ng about the floods that seem to be about 10 miles south of where I lived. Looked bad.

Paul

-- Excuse me, I'll be right back. I have to log onto a server in Romania and verify all of my EBay, PayPal, bank and Social Security information before they suspend my accounts.

Working the rockie road of the G&PX

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

--=AD--------------------------

I probably could see them from the loft in the winter. The foliage is the only thing blocking them. I'm actually on higher terrian than the other tracks. I'll have to see haven't been there for a winter yet but its geting close!

For the people building homes beside the tracks and complaining.. Been there done that.. In a town I used to live in they built an entire development about 100ft from an active line (CSX Popes Creek line) allthough a train only went through about 3 or 4 times a day the railroad had been there since Adam and Eve.. Wasn't long before those yuppies were complaining and wanted the line shut down. Hmmm I wonder if they knew those trains supply coal to a major power plant so their lavish cribs could have electricity!

Reply to
LRX Railfan

LRX Railfan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:

Same deal in Washington DC which I recently vacated. Reagan national has been there since a week after the Wright Bris did thier thing. Aircraft up and doen the river on approach or climb out all day. Then the knobs move in and start complaining.

Well duh. If you move into a luxury high rise on the river and the aircraft gly up and down the river so as to fall into the water in the event of a sudden loss of lift you should kinda expect to hear 737s flyinh through your living room. What a bunch of dopes.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Only 100 ?

I live less than 1km from the passenger line with one train in each direction about every 10 to 15 minutes from about 4.30 am until 1 am the next day. Horn is blown at the level (grade) crossing even though it is protected by boom gates. I rarely notice it, but I do get annoyed by the hoons who turn out of the T junction 50 metres down the road and put their foot down and lose control. Fortunately there is a fair sized street tree outside on the verge so they will (hopefully) hit it first ,rather than my car in the driveway.

Reply to
Alan

Lots of scales are bigger than O scale. 3/8" = 1', 3/4", 1", 1.5", 3", etc. Since you didn't mention riding on his trains it's most likely #1 gauge track at 45mm or 1.75" gauge. That's usually incorrectly called G gauge.

Get a copy of Garden Railways Magazine to see what's available. There is a lot available, much more than the one set you saw. There are a multitude of scales that run on the same track: 1:20, 1:22.5, 1:24, 1:29,

1:32. You can even do live steam in that size.
Reply to
<wkaiser

"Alan" wrote

The U.P. tracks from the ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles harbors split just west of here in Colton, California; one set heading up over Cajon Pass and then towards the northeast, and the other set going past my home on the old S.P. "Sunset Route" mainline towards the Gulf Coast and the deep south.

In effect; we get about 1/3 of the nation's east-west rail traffic passing by in any 24 hour period.

Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling