Some modelling inspiration

I'm getting my Canadian real life pictures put back on the web. Here are some that may provide ideas for modelling

They are best viewed as a slideshow.

Winniandy (Grande Cache) is unique in that, although they have a coal mine and a power station alongside each other, the coal that is mined there is taken for export (usually via Roberts Bank in Vancouver) while the power station gets its coal sent in from a different location. The cars bringing the coal in to the power station are made of steel and are different to the aluminium cars used to export the coal.

You can therefore have empty and fully loaded coal cars going in both directions.

Enjoy

Reply to
Mike Hughes

Interesting. But, for the record, I HATE slide shows. First it takes forever to load then the pictures fly bye at some predetermined rate. I'd much rather just simply look at the pictures I want to look at - that's what thumbnails are for. Just my opinion - YMMV.

Reply to
ray

On Mike's flicker page, there are two options that will slow it down for you.

At the top left, there is an options button. Open it and select slow and it really slows it down. The next thing you can do, and from your comments, I think this would be your preference, click the pause button ( II ) in the lower left corner. This stops the slide show and allows you to to select the pics individually.

Nice pix, BTW, Mike!

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Thanks

If you look at the wide angle photos showing the power station you will (just) be able to see how they unload the incoming coal cars - with two CAT excavators on raised platforms above the tracks. I have close up photos of these (taken in 2007) which I will try to load up sometime in the next week or so.

If I wasn't already committed to my loft layout I'd seriously consider making a model of this location. With the coal trains each way plus the regular through freights - crew change point is at the mine with the 'afternoon' train leaving at around 1:30 p.m. daily (they never seem to be too pedantic about timings in the mountains)

For those who are following the progress of my loft layout I'm holding

3 'open days' with various people coming along to help me test (=play) the loco servicing area and the Wye. After that I can add the tracks to the loco servicing shed, then the industry in form of the back scene and finally start to lay down some ballast - so much to do and so little time! :-)
Reply to
Mike Hughes

In message , Mike Hughes writes

Here is some more real life inspiration, taken in Canada 2009 Look at them via

or look at the set at
(scroll towards the rear of the set starting at Jasper01 for the newest added)

Enjoy

Reply to
Mike Hughes