Steam Locomotive Crash

This is a continuation of a thread under the same Subject which first appeared on Oc 18-22, 2005. Google Groups doesn't allow me to reply to that thread.

Anyways, I ran into the postcard with the image similar to the one posted in the old thread.

This one was taken on Oct. 22, 1895. Title is "A train in the street" by Kuhn. The image seems to have been taken in France. I suspect that this might have been the inspiration for that newer picture mentioned in the thread.

Here is the link:

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

"Peter W."

As the station name. Gare de L'ouest is clearly visible, it's probably Paris.

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

To me the name on the wall reads CHEMINS de FER DE L'OUEST, and your right, likely Paris or at least it is in France.

J. Bright

Reply to
jhbright

"jhbright"

Sorry, you're correct. I should have written "Based on the sign on the wall, the station is Gare de L'Ouest...."

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Feeding "CHEMINS de FER DE L'OUEST" +wall into Google

led to this:

'Ouest A quote reads: On the 22 October 1895 an express train originating from Granville traverses Montparnasse station, plows into the buffers, wrecks the station building's front wall and drops to the ground on the street below. The only victim was the news agent who was squashed by the locomotive.

Reply to
jpurbric

Guess I was wrong then. But then again, I'm happier about it than the newsagent was.

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Hey, it's still in Paris. Close enough.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Nice! Isn't Google wonderful!

It is really amazing how much information is out there, available right at your fingertips. And mostly free!

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Peter, and others using Google Groups, please remember to quote relevant [1] bits of the previous message when replying. Otherwise it is difficult to see what you are replying to. To do this, rather than click the "Reply" link at the bottom of the message, click the "Show Options" link at the top, and then the "Reply" link that appears in the grey box. I know that sounds complicated, but really it's just two clicks instead of one. And it makes it a _lot_ easier for the rest of us to read your message.

[1] This, of course, means that you should delete any bits that aren't relevant to your reply.
Reply to
Dave Fossett

Yes Dave, some people find those darn Google qoteless replies annoying. Well for me, you're the 2nd person who mentioned this. Everybody else is not quite annoyed enough to speak out.

I wish that Google would change the "Reply" link below the message to include the quoted message - but it doesn't. They have been also been mucking around the interface again as it no longer shows the message number in a given thread. Grrr! I found that feature useful. And when will Google Groups become non-beta? It's been in beta for what seems like couple of years.

Oops... I didn't follow Daves request... Maybe next time... Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Peter W. spake thus:

Hopefully when it dies an undignified, unlamented death. It's a piece of shit. And you know what they say: you can't polish a turd.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl