Topper Tape - what is it?

I read in a "how to" article that you can lay track onto Topper Tape. The article says that topper tape is "a material used to insulate pickup truck caps".

For those of us not resident in the USA, although I would think we all know what a pickup truck is what are "pickup truck caps"? I've been trying to think what would be on a pickup truck that's not on a car, and that would need to be insulated.

If I know what its used for I can look for it here (Australia).

Ken G.

Reply to
Ken G

Charles Kimbrough

I think they mean the topper that goes on the back of a pickup truck to cover the bed.

Anyhow, sounds like double-side sticky tape:-)

Donald

Reply to
Donald Kinney

It is a double sided sticky tape that has a layer of foam between the two sticky layers.

Reply to
<Will

A pickup truck cap is a covering (somewhat permanent) that goes over the bed of the pickup truck. Topper tape is a special double-faced tape used to attach the cap to the pickup truck body. It insulates against vibrations and moisture seepage.

Here is a two-page article on using topper tape which appeared in the August

2003 Model Railroader:
Topper Tape® from Automated Products International:
Mark Mathu

It'd be the double sided sticky tape foam insulation you'd put between the bed of your "Ute" and the small "caravan" that could be mounted on the back of it.

Topper would be a small "caravan" on the back of a Ute, usually the same colour as the body of the Ute.

Does that help?

Pete > The cap (topper) being referred to is a cover for the bed (back) of the

Reply to
Pete in Calgary

Afterthought. Go to an RV or Caravan dealer. They'll have some.

Pete in Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Pete > It'd be the double sided sticky tape foam insulation you'd put between

Reply to
Pete in Calgary

Try to do a Google Advanced Groups Search of this forum for messages relating to AMI Instant Roadbed.

My guess is the "topper tape" would have all the drawbacks of the AMI product (picks up every bit of lint and dust and staples and splinters and dead bugs and . . . - and then won't stick to what you want it to, and ballast won't stick well to it in any case) and the only advantage would be it's possibly a cheaper source for a bad approach.

Just wet your ballast with a bit of detergent and alcohol in hte sprayer, then use thinned white glue or matte medium to hold it in place.

Reply to
Steve Caple

So Navajos and Apaches are left out?

Reply to
Steve Caple

The Mazda Navajo would have to be left out, but the Chevrolet Apache could certainly be considered worthy and included ;)

Steve Caple wrote:

Reply to
Pete in Calgary

Apache? A Canadian model name? Haven't seen it here, but then I hardly pay any attention to most Detroit iron.

BTW, I've passed on the the Ute tribal legal office a suggestion that they sue you for unauthorized use of their tribe's service mark.

Reply to
Steve Caple