Turntable tuneup

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make the motorized Walthers

90' turntable#933-3171 run better?

I just put one together and in doing so the nubs on the 4 inch gear wheel were broken... ok, I broke them... and from what I can see the nubs served as spacers between the wheel and the turntable pan keeping the wheel turning level. Without the nubs, the gear wheel wobbles and I suspect that that is why I hear a bad chattering sound as the turntable turns.

In one quarter section arc, the system makes a lot of noise and the bridge jitters and I suspect that the gear on the motor is not meshing properly with the teeth on the gear wheel. Either the gear wheel rides too high or too low against the motor gear and periodically slips off or else the gear wheel is out-of-round and at certain points is a little further away from the stationery motor gear and slips. Do either of these possiblities sound realistic or are there other possible causes?

If either is the cause (the action is hidden so I can't see the meshing) I am considering two possible solutions. One is the installation of three homemade roller bearings mounted on the pan to keep the gear wheel level and the other is rigging up some sort of spring system that will hold the motor snugly against the gear wheel teeth even if the wheel is out-of-round.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks/Carter

Reply to
Carter Braxton

nubs served

Wonder if you can buy that gear as a separate part

-or-

Have a gear made out of metal at a machine shop

-or-

Make a casting of it and make a copy. It should be easy to make a good casting by rotating the gear so the good teeth make a good impression all around instead of the bad teeth.

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

Unfortunately this turntable has a terrible reputation. I have never seen one operate reliably for more than a few hours. Their new (and expensive) turntable is very smooth. I don't know how well it holds up but it is a radically different design.

Steve B.

Reply to
steveb919

Haven't Walther's announced that they will also be producing a new assembled

90ft 'table?

Perhaps we can all trade in the kits on the assembled version? :-)

-- Happy New Year to all.

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Yes, a trade in would be nice... I'm underwhelmed with the old one I just bought

Carter

Reply to
Carter Braxton

Are there any consistant problems with this model and, more to the point, are there any recommended fixes that guys have used?

Thanks Carter

Reply to
Carter Braxton

Yes.

Yes, garbage can. :-(

I thought the bridge was a nice looking model.

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Yes, they have announced it and it is on their web site for a March delivery. They are taking advanced reservations now. I have mine in and am very impatiently waiting...

Sam

Reply to
Sam