Walthers self-indexing turntable

A message from a fellow modeler follows:
----- Original Message ----- To: snipped-for-privacy@thepond.com Sent: 22 May, 2006 16:36
Subject: Walthers Built-up Turntable
"Froggy, As I recall you frequent some of the model RR use groups. I am planning on purchasing the Walthers 90' Built-Up Turntable (933-2840). I've not seen one yet as they are just coming out. Last year, they introduced the 130' version (933-2829) I've not heard anything good or bad about it by anyone with experience. For example, how close to the 60 index spots does it stop? Does it stop in exactly the same spot when going clockwise vs. counter-clockwise?
As you may know, we need a good turntable and I think we need one that has automatic indexing due to the visibility from the yard & the aisle. I believe the 90' version about to be introduced is exactly the same as the 130' version except for the size. So if you can provide me with some knowledgeable feedback it makes my decision easier..."
Any of y'all have either one of these tables? Your comments regarding its performance are solicited.
Froggy,
It would want be a marked improvement on the kit model, say 1000 per cent.
I got the kit version, motor seperate, & the worst buy I've made. Can't even give it away. It's a shame really as it looks good.
a6et spake thus:

Just curious: how does the indexing mechanism work on it?
--
I hope that in a few years it [Wikipedia] will be so bloated that it
will simply disintegrate, because I can't stand the thought that this

Don't confuse the "old" kit 90 footer, which as is said above, looks good but is the worst buy ever made, with the brand new, only just released, fully built 90 foot turntable.
I've note seen any comments from anyone who's bought one of the new 90 footers. However, if it's as good as the 120 footer, it'll be worth the price as I gather the 120ft is excellent and worth the money.
-- Cheers
Roger T.
Roger T. spake thus:

No, you misunderstood my question: *how* does the indexing mechanism work? (Not "how well".)
--
I hope that in a few years it [Wikipedia] will be so bloated that it
will simply disintegrate, because I can't stand the thought that this
"David Nebenzahl"

DOH!
-- Cheers
Roger T.
On 22 May 2006 15:26:32 -0700, a6et wrote:

Er, uh, do you mean the old 90 foot turntable with the out-of-round pit? I don't think there is any relationship between that and the new one other than length. Certainly not the $300 price!!
--
Steve

Check with Howard Zane. http://www.zanestructures.com/ He told me that he was very impressed with the 130' Walthers back when they first came out. If he has permanently installed it on his layout he may be able to comment on the TT's reliability with regular use. Bruce