Walthers self-indexing turntable

A message from a fellow modeler follows:

----- Original Message ----- To: snipped-for-privacy@thepond.com Sent: 22 May, 2006 16:36 Subject: Walthers Built-up Turntable

"Froggy, As I recall you frequent some of the model RR use groups. I am planning on purchasing the Walthers 90' Built-Up Turntable (933-2840). I've not seen one yet as they are just coming out. Last year, they introduced the 130' version (933-2829) I've not heard anything good or bad about it by anyone with experience. For example, how close to the 60 index spots does it stop? Does it stop in exactly the same spot when going clockwise vs. counter-clockwise?

As you may know, we need a good turntable and I think we need one that has automatic indexing due to the visibility from the yard & the aisle. I believe the 90' version about to be introduced is exactly the same as the 130' version except for the size. So if you can provide me with some knowledgeable feedback it makes my decision easier..."

Any of y'all have either one of these tables? Your comments regarding its performance are solicited.

Froggy,

Reply to
Froggy

It would want be a marked improvement on the kit model, say 1000 per cent.

I got the kit version, motor seperate, & the worst buy I've made. Can't even give it away. It's a shame really as it looks good.

Reply to
a6et

a6et spake thus:

Just curious: how does the indexing mechanism work on it?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Don't confuse the "old" kit 90 footer, which as is said above, looks good but is the worst buy ever made, with the brand new, only just released, fully built 90 foot turntable.

I've note seen any comments from anyone who's bought one of the new 90 footers. However, if it's as good as the 120 footer, it'll be worth the price as I gather the 120ft is excellent and worth the money.

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Roger T. spake thus:

No, you misunderstood my question: *how* does the indexing mechanism work? (Not "how well".)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

"David Nebenzahl"

DOH!

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Er, uh, do you mean the old 90 foot turntable with the out-of-round pit? I don't think there is any relationship between that and the new one other than length. Certainly not the $300 price!!

Reply to
Steve Caple

Check with Howard Zane.

He told me that he was very impressed with the 130' Walthers back when they first came out. If he has permanently installed it on his layout he may be able to comment on the TT's reliability with regular use. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger