Scale relationships question-- Duuuh/

I know that On30" track is nominally the same physical dimension between the rails as HO standard.

Is Sn3' also the same inside the rails dimension as HO?

Is Sn2 the same inside the rails dimension as N?

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

Jim McLaughlin spake thus:

Close (correct: "nominally"):

  • HO standard = 4'8" / 87.1 = 0.64"
  • On30" = 30" / 48 = 0.62"

No, because the "n3" part means "3' in the scale (1/64 in this case):

  • Sn3 = 36 / 64 = 0.56" (close, but no cigar)
  • Sn2 = 24" / 64 = 0.375
  • N = 4'8" / 160 = 0.35"
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

No. HO track is widely used in Australia and New Zealand to represent

3'6", or 42" gauge track - Sn31/2.
Reply to
mark_newton

Jim McLaughlin had it right the first time -- the track gauge is exactly the same for HO standard and On30, as specified in NMRA Standard S-3.2 ("On30 uses the same track geometry as HO gauge track").

Reference:

__________ Mark Mathu The Green Bay Route:
"I started out with nothing and I still have most of it."

Reply to
Mark Mathu

"HO track is widely used in Australia and New Zealand to represent

3'6", or 42" gauge track - Sn31/2."

That's roughly equal to meter gauge, which is 39.37"

Speaking of N scale track. It looks like it would come out to about

22.6" which is close enough to two foot gauge for model railroading.

Eric

Reply to
newyorkcentralfan