Scale relationships question-- Duuuh/

I know that On30" track is nominally the same physical dimension between the rails as HO standard.
Is Sn3' also the same inside the rails dimension as HO?
Is Sn2 the same inside the rails dimension as N?

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
Jim McLaughlin spake thus:

Close (correct: "nominally"):
* HO standard = 4'8" / 87.1 = 0.64" * On30" = 30" / 48 = 0.62"

No, because the "n3" part means "3' in the scale (1/64 in this case):
* Sn3 = 36 / 64 = 0.56" (close, but no cigar)

* Sn2 = 24" / 64 = 0.375 * N = 4'8" / 160 = 0.35"
--
I hope that in a few years it [Wikipedia] will be so bloated that it
will simply disintegrate, because I can't stand the thought that this

Jim McLaughlin had it right the first time -- the track gauge is exactly the same for HO standard and On30, as specified in NMRA Standard S-3.2 ("On30 uses the same track geometry as HO gauge track").
Reference: http://www.nmra.org/standards/S-3_2ScaleTrackwork.html
__________ Mark Mathu The Green Bay Route: http://www.greenbayroute.com / "I started out with nothing and I still have most of it."
Jim McLaughlin wrote:
> I know that On30" track is nominally the same physical dimension > between the rails as HO standard. > > Is Sn3' also the same inside the rails dimension as HO?
No. HO track is widely used in Australia and New Zealand to represent 3'6", or 42" gauge track - Sn31/2.
mark newton wrote:
"HO track is widely used in Australia and New Zealand to represent 3'6", or 42" gauge track - Sn31/2."
That's roughly equal to meter gauge, which is 39.37"
Speaking of N scale track. It looks like it would come out to about 22.6" which is close enough to two foot gauge for model railroading.
Eric