Narrow Gauge Scale Questions

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I need to clarify the following:

ON30 is the size of O but runs on HO track (requires corrected tie spacing though). Uses O scale Buildings etc.

ON3 is the size of O but runs on special track with rails spaced not as wide as O yet wider than HO. Scaled to 3' between the rails. Uses O scale Buildings etc.

HON3 is the size of HO but runs on special track with rails spaced not as wide as HO but wider than N. Scaled to 3' between the rails. Uses HO scale Buildings etc.

HON30 is the size of HO but runs on N scale track (requires corrected tie spacing) Scaled to 30 inches between the rails. Uses HO scale Buildings etc. N narrow gauge is the size of N but runs on Z scale track (requires corrected tie spacing) Uses N scale Buildings etc.

Please tweak or correct.

Thanks "narrow minded" Dave

Reply to
Dave

Correct, except that On30, HOn30 are not exact 30 inch gauge. Main reason for their existence is that it's easy to use O scale/HO scale mechanisms. The European 760mm narrow gauge is very close to 30" gauge, which is another reason -n30 gauges have become popular.

On30 models are derived from 3ft, 30 inch, and 2ft narrow gauge prototypes.

If you want to pick nits, there is no such thing as "HO gauge", etc.

16.5mm gauge is used for HO scale standard gauge, 32mm is used for O scale standard gauge, and so on. Not that O scale is easy to understand: in N America it's 1:48, in Europe and elsewhere it's 1:45, in the UK it's 1:43. Figuring out why this is so is a minor obsession among model railroad historians. ;-)

HTH Wolf K

Reply to
Wolf K

On 1/3/2011 6:42 AM Wolf K spake thus:

Well, not to pick a nit too finely here, but I think you managed to confuse scale and gauge there, Wolf. Yes, I know *you* understand the difference.

I think you might ought have said there that model railroad *gauges* are (more or less) standard, as in 16.5 mm for HO, but that *scales* vary all over the place, as you pointed out with various O scales.

Like they say, standards are wonderful because there are so many of them to choose from.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

10.5mm gauge. Shinohara makes/made track specifically for this gauge/scale combination.

HOe in Europe. Track available from Peco.

Also HOm in Europe. Runs on 12mm gauge (TT)

Reply to
Greg Procter

I feel like a baboon: I'll pick your nits if you will pick mine.

Hah!

Wolf K.

Reply to
Wolf K