Narrow Gauge

Apropos of the comments on narrow gauge in the Modeller in the "Jan Ed of Mod Rail" thread, what are other peoples views on Roy Dock and Paul Towers editorships? In the last modeller was a bit of a salutation to Dock in the letters page, but my memory was of him driving MRN down the road to no recovery. Is that unfair?

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Ken,

You have to be joking :-)

MRN under Roy Dock in the 70s had to have been the best edited UK model railway magazine ever. It had a huge range of subject matter covering all the scales and which would cover all tastes. I've a feeling that Roy might have taken a good few ideas from Linn Westcott, the editor of Model Railroader in the States at the time.

After Roy left, MRN continued on for several years and was still a good magazine during that time, although not having the spark of Roy Dock's era. The only other magazines I can think of that came anywhere near the Dock MRN standard were the early editions of MRJ, Morrill under Iain Rice's editorship and Iain Rice's own short lived Model Railway Digest in the 90s. Cyril Freezer's RM in the 60s/70s wasn't all that bad either.

I haven't seen a magazine today which can come anywhere near the 70's MRN (actually called Your Model Railways, IIRC). Today's MRJ is a shadow of its past, and the other magazines seem to be pedalling a lot of fluff.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

"Jim Guthrie" wrote

This is such a judgemental issue as one editorial style will appeal to some, whilst another's will be decried.

I actually like MRJ under Tim Shackleton's stewardship. much more so than when Iain Rice was at the helm.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Ken,

I remember cancelling MRN in the late 60s as well, and for the same reasons :-)

From memory, Roy Dock appeared during 1971 and the magazine format and size changed as well. I can give you a definite date at the weekend when I can check out my copies when I get home - unless someone else can confirm before then.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

No, not joking, but I was wrong. It was not Dock but Brewer in the late sixties who fed endless narrow gauge and light railway stuff into MRN and resulted in me cancelling in Feb 70. Bit of a come-down after Maskelyne and the early Dock period. Looks like I shall have to get some 70's volumes, when did he return?

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes