Programing track

I need to change some Cv and loco address, mainly on Gold and ESU locosound decoders. As my layout is not operational at the moment so it has not locos on it, can I use it for Programming On the Main or is it better to set up a separate programming track?

Are there things you cant do P.O.M that you can on the programing track?

Lenz 100 set being used.

Reply to
Piemanlarger

With the Lenz 100, you cannot change the loco address if programming on the main. Also every locomotive on the track would receive the same values input into their CVs when you change values.

You have two options.

Whilst your track is down, undo the two screws that hold the wires to your track from the LZV 100 (J,K) and insert them into the programming track connections (P,Q) this should take less than a minute (and still will input values into every other Loco's CV that are on the track), or

Do what I did and cut a length of cheap flexitrack (£1.40 at a local show ) in half and mount it on a piece of 3x1 timber, solder a couple of wires to it and attach them to the P,Q plug output of the LZV100, this way I can still use the programming track even when my system is live if needed.

(Sad person that I am, I even ballasted the programming track and painted the wood).

Eddie

Reply to
Edward Bray

My apologies, you are correct, I meant if you have more than one loco on the programming track all identical Cvs are set to the new value input. This is why I cut the flexitrack down, to prevent me leaving more than one loco on it.

Eddie.

Reply to
Edward Bray

In message , Edward Bray writes

This last sentence is untrue. RTFM ("LH100 Keypad-based Dispatcher's Throttle p.38).

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Edward Bray wrote: [...]

[...]

Nothing wrong with that. :-)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

And if you have a compulsive need to do more, Id be glad of the help :-)

Reply to
Rob Kemp

"Rob Kemp" wrote

Me too, I've got a double track layout of approximately 20' x 11' which is in dire need of ballasting. :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Now i'm getting worried, I have suspected for a while that I am missing some posts on various threads, but I have not seen Rob Kemp's post which is quoted in John's below.

So far on this thread I have received 7 posts including the original plus 2 from me, 2 from Jane, 1 from Wolf and John's.

How many others are there? and if there are more, how do I receive them?

It can be quite frustrating when you miss a couple of posts as the thread then seems to have no cohesion.

Eddie

Reply to
Edward Bray

In message , John Turner writes

My garden layout could do with ballasting. Total track length is 1200 feet.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Hi Jane,

I am amazed at the way you have bitten your tongue on my last reply to this same topic on the DCCUK list. I have to admit I did expect quite a prompt response from you. I admire your self control. :)

Eddie

Reply to
Edward Bray

"Edward Bray" wrote

According to my server (and it is *your newserver* which is likely to be at fault) you've missed just the one posting - the one from Rob.

Only by paying for a premium rate newserver can you be pretty much sure of getting ALL messages on ALL groups.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

...and I have a piece of MDF 8' x 4' in dire need of a layout :)

scoot

Reply to
scoot

You're on Blueyonder. I'm the same when at home. The Blueyonder newserver is absolutely rubbish of late. I reckon I receive just over

60% of the posts at home that I do when I'm in work.

The only answer is to use a better newsfeed.

Pete

Reply to
mutley

In message , Edward Bray writes

I just shrugged my shoulders and said "Ah well, he's a man, what do you expect".

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Probably trying to avoid helping me ballast!

Reply to
Rob Kemp

Hi Rob,

I've not even started ballesting my layout yet, I am still making changes to the track layout.

Whereabouts are you based? If not too far away from me I'll give you a hand.

Eddie.

Reply to
Edward Bray

"Edward Bray" wrote

Just nip 'round on the nearest 747! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

LOL

Reply to
Edward Bray

Or a 777!!! I'm only about 4000 miles from England! But thanks anyway :-) Rob

Reply to
Rob Kemp

On our club layout, one of the storage sidings is wired via a DPDT switch wired to the track and programming outputs of the LZV100 base unit. With a simple flick of the switch, we have either program or running mode. At least this way we can only *accidentally* re-program stuff that's on the single siding!

My Compact at home has 4 wires permanently connected to J, K, P & Q with wander leads and crocodile clips. This means that you are not having to screw wires in and out every time.

Cheers, Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan