A (DCC) Virgin's Question

OK. I've got DCC now (Lenz Set 100). When I've chipped a loco, I put it on the programming track and change the modules address.

Question is: What else do I need to do?

Do I have to change any other settings? Do I need to? What changes do you other DCC users make?

(At the moment I've not got SPROG or any XPressNet connections to the pc).

All advice gratefully received, TIA, Dave.

Reply to
Dave Potter

fitted with lights etc. Get some running practice first before tinkering with the settings, carefully read the instructions, subscribe to the various Lenz groups e.g. on Yahoo. Have a go at double heading, multiple consists but be wary of the CV (Change Value) settings. Enjoy!

Reply to
titans

Hi Dave,

I have a set 100 as well. It's capable of doing lots of things which you may want to do once you've got a bit of practice and depending on the functions of the decoder you are using. For now, I'd concentrate on getting the trains running, then maybe look at consisting (as already suggested), followed by adjusting acceleration and braking rates and setting the maximum speed. These are some of the easiest things to change and gain a bit of confidence.

By the way, I'm still using the tamping machine I bought off you - very nice, but haven't fitted a decoder as yet!

Cheers, Ian

Reply to
Ian Bartlett

You don't even need to do that if it's the only loco you have. The default address should be 3.

You don't *have* to change anything but there are lots of things you will *want* to change once you realise DCCs full potential. I'd start by looking at Vstart and Vhigh (CVs 2 & 5) and the acceleration and deceleration rates (CVs 3 & 4) to get the particular loco running just right. If you have lighting then you can try enabling that. Then you can think about something more complex like a custom speed table. The full description of common CVs is at

You'll need the decoder manual to determine which are actually implemented and to give details of manufacturer specific CVs.

I thoroughly recommend DecoderPro (it's free!) and a computer interface.

Obviously I have a vested interest in SPROG but the Lenz computer interface is also supported by DecoderPro and would open up other possibilities beside programming. The advantage of SPROG is that it can be taken and used anywhere you have a computer and a length of track. You don't need to take the computer to the layout or the Lenz set to the computer. Nor do you need to interrupt the normal running of the layout to reprogram a decoder.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew