DCC - RailCom

Hi all,

Having just started the move to DCC with my first DCC set and decoders (from Lenz) and wanting to take advantage of computer control, I was wondering if there were any websites that feature usage of RailCom and detail experiences of its usage...?? Everything I've found so far on web searches are predominantly retail outlets selling RailCom enabled products, and there seems to be little (in fact I haven't found any) on the usage of RailCom beyond the LRC120 unit that Lenz sells (and even that was just one page!)

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

You could try the JMRI suite of products, google it for the website, it definetly supports Loconet as used by Digtrax and Fleishmann so I would imagine it supports ExpressNet as well the Lenz buss system.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Thanks for the info. I checked the JMRI site and the only mention of Railcom I could find was for programming the decoder in DecoderPro, so it looks like they haven't tackled it yet :(

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

JMRI do support the Lenz buss see

and it is known as XpressNet which allows your PC to communicate with the Lenz command station. Railcom is bi-directional DCC protocol see
which allows the decoders to feedback via the DCC signal.

The alternative Digitrax transponding technology I think is supported as the receivers are connected to the Loconet bus what you need is a Railcom reader that connects to the XpressNet bus and generates packets that your PC connected to that bus can read.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Does Anyone here know if there is a computer interfacing unit available for the MRC / Gaugemaster "Prodigy" DCC System??

TIA Graham

Reply to
Graham Kendall

I picked up on the JMRI PC support for XPressNet, but it's specifically the RailCom I'm interested in. I have the Lenz system, so the Digitrax transponding is of little or no interest to me for my own use.

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

the MRC / Gaugemaster "Prodigy" DCC System??

No there is not and from what I have read, there is no intention to produce one either.

I have to say that any DCC system that doesn't have a computer interface is in a lower market space, probably using out-dated or backward technology. All DCC systems should have a computer interface. There is no excuse for it.

Graham Plowman

Reply to
gppsoftware

I think the reason that you have yet to see any description of an actual application is that this is a solution looking for a problem and no-one has found the problem yet!

Thye only issue that I can see it helping with is to identify a loco ready to leave a fiddle yard, unfortunately this is very complex except in the simplest style of fiddle yard and the system does not provide all the infrormation required. To drive out of a fiddle yard you need to know the address to use and the direction to select, without the direction you run the risk of reversing the train and causing a pile up.I don't see any way at present that railcom can tell you the direction. Also for consists the response must tell you the address needed for the consist, from what I can see in the write-ups railcom will give the individual loco addresses.

Keith

Reply to
Keith

It would also be good if you want train descriptions in your layout control software and you could possible automate the layout to set routes based on the approaching trains train description as in IECC panels on Network Rail.

Is that what you are trying to do Ian?

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Independent automated layout control is the predominant usage I'd like like to get to ultimately.

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

You don't need railcom to do that most of the proprietary software will do that for as long as your layout has track circuit detection for all sections so that the system can track the train. And it would then be like the real thing as Network Rail does not get information from the train itself to automatically route trains it uses the train description that the signalling system uses and tracks progress by track circuits and axle detectors.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

You should have a good search through the DCC section at:

there is a lot of information regarding Railcom , computer control, and practical application.

Richard Willcox