DCC

In a very vitriolic letter in the March edition of Railway Modeller, a chap complains ( amongst other things) about the 'standard' fitment of NMRA sockets by locomotive manufacturers. He alleges that, when run on a DC equipped layout, a locomotive equipped with a DCC socket (no decoder fitted) performs worse than a locomotive not so equipped. Has anybody got any experience of this happening ?

Reply to
Keith J Patrick

Yes I also read this letter and concluded he must be smoking something. I got the distinct impression he did'nt like DCC. :-)) While I accept that DCC isn't for everyone, progress is currently along the DCC path. Have you tried to buying a 486 computer with Win

95 operating system recently ?, try that in your local computer shop and the people will be rolling in the isles. At least with model railways you still have a choice, Ancient or Modern. Bill Gates and the march of technoligy dos'nt give you that with computers. It was a highly entertaining letter, and I enjoyed it thoughly, and I'm a long time DCC user.

***
Reply to
Richard Willcox

"Keith J Patrick" wrote

Yes, there were some serious issues with some of the Hornby class 30/31 diesel models when used with Feedback DC controllers. This is not a socket issue however, just poor PCB design by Hornby.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I've got a 486 with Windows 95. My wife complains that it's a bit slow and she wonders if there is anything quicker? I'm not going to tell her ! Actually, ideal for family tree use.

Reply to
Keith J Patrick

I read this letter in mounting disbelief. A socket is just a socket, so how it can affect performance is beyond me, unless it has been designed badly giving a loose connection. He also complains about going back 50 years, whilst quietly forgetting that DCC is moving things forward. He seems to be saying that the mere presence of these sockets prevents shuttle controllers, and brake simulation, and feedback controllers. I don't have DCC, and am unlikely to get it in the near future, but I can't stick my head in the sand and pretend that it isn't a huge step forward in the hobby!

Personally, I thought he was talking a load of crap about something he appears to know absolutely bugger-all about! I would be mildly interested to know which "magazines and internet letters" he was looking at that had a whole lot of other people like himself. What is an internet letter, anyway? Is this one?

Reply to
Paul Boyd

On 21/02/2006 16:26, Richard Willcox said,

No, but I can get one if you want to buy one :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

In message , Keith J Patrick writes

Maybe this fellow ought to see the latest edition of the Model Railroader, which has a very interesting article on the very latest in digital control - DCC5.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

In message , Jane Sullivan writes

Yes, but you know it's not due out just yet. Still, with an absolute minimal cost it should be well within the grasp of even the most tight fisted person. You have to hand it to the yanks they certainly seem to have come up with a digital first.

Reply to
Mike Hughes

They had to design the one in the class 50 twice then mucked up the one in the 31. For the cost of designing and building those boards they could have supplied the locos with decoders already fitted, no design costs, cheaper because mass produced and better control with it. The component count on their board is higher than many decoders.

Keith

Reply to
Keith

When is it due out? April 1st?

Reply to
MartinS

yes, thats very good. Caught a few out in club tonight with it!

Reply to
Piemanlarger

No. Not unless the letter "r" is in the month's name, or the Moon is in the Seventh House. Or some such. Does he find his curtains fade faster due to Daylight Savings?

We have a word for such people. Curiously, it rhymes with "banker".

Steve Newcastle NSW Aust

Reply to
Steve Magee

So its a collector's item ??

eBay here I come.

;>)

Reply to
Dave Skipsey

Perhaps we could introduce him to Usenet? :-)

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

:-/ Maybe it was printed a month early and should have been in the April Edition ? Which wouldn't surprise me for the toddler.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

Maybe the same level of vitriol ensued when electric motors superceded clockwork mechanisms?

Reply to
airsmoothed

Yes, because you had to drive clockwork. Count key turns & put on the correct number of vehicles - too many & the train stopped short of its destination, too few it crashed into the buffer stops at journeys end ;-) , so said many articles of the time and again for 3 rail vs 2 rail.

Kevin Martin

Reply to
Kevin Martin

Sigh.

Some of us want it. Others don't need it.

If (big if) I used it, it would be for sound and accessories like uncoupling anywhere but the cost of decoders would have to come way down.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

"Christopher A. Lee" wrote

It's like any aspect of any hobby, individuals will settle at whatever level satisfies them. I was always a big sceptic of DCC but in the end have realised that it provides infinitely more operational realism and saves hours of time in wiring when building a complex layout.

Sound and accessories don't interest me - at least not at this stage, and like Christopher the price will have to drop significantly before I'll change my mind at least on sound.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Crewchester anybody?