DCC

I'm not fussed one way or the other by DCC myself at the moment. My day job frequently involves staring at a non functioning box of electronic gubbins thinking " is this a hardware problem, a software problem, or has somone put the wrong configuration data in the memory"

I'm not at all sure I want to have to ask myself the same questions when staring at non functioning DCC loco at home :-/. The method of programming the decoders seems somewhat archaic as well, although I suppose a SPROG + some Windows software does circumvent the need to add & subtract bits here & there.

I don't have ahuge fleet of locos ( around 25 at a guess) so in the medium term I might well give it a whirl.

Reply to
airsmoothed

In the light of another thread running here I have to ask, "What's a SPROG?" It used to mean a new recruit when I was in the RAF & came to mean a young kid but I'm willing to learn so what has sprog got to do with DCC?

Norman

Reply to
Norman

See

It's a standalone decoder programmer driven by DecoderPro.

The name comes from Serial PROGrammer, but we now mostly sell the USB version. It also once stood for "Son of PROG", "PROG" being the MERG standalone (but not computer driven) programmer. Son = child = sprog , but it was too difficult to explain.

Regards,

Andrew Crosland

Reply to
google

wrote

I'm not going to suggest for one minute that DCC is simply a case of 'plug and go' because there's a little bit more to it than that, but since the introduction of the Lenz Gold decoders I've so far found it totally unneccessary to do ANY programming of decoders. In fact quite the opposite, a friend re-programmed one for me using SPROG software and after that I was convinced that the loco worked best with the original factory default settings, so I undid his reprogramming and reset the default.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Pardon my ignorance, John, but can I assume then that resetting a decoder to factory defaults is fairly straightforward?

Reply to
airsmoothed

wrote

Yes, it's almost instantaneous. In the case of my Lenz system one simply writes a value of 33 into CV8 and it's done.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

On 23/02/2006 00:04, Arthur Figgis said,

That would be good for a laugh!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

wrote See

It's a standalone decoder programmer driven by DecoderPro.

The name comes from Serial PROGrammer, but we now mostly sell the USB version. It also once stood for "Son of PROG", "PROG" being the MERG standalone (but not computer driven) programmer. Son = child = sprog , but it was too difficult to explain.

Andrew Crosland

I thought you did rather well, and modestly !!!!

Best money I spent on DCC (Other than the SWD sound chip !)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

writes a value of 33 into CV8 and it's done.

Fairny nuff John, that's easy then. Thinking about it overnight, the only significant stumbling block for me (other then finding time to do ANY railway modelling) is the faff factor of fitting decoders into older models like the Bachmann 'mickey mouse' tank.

Mind you I was taught to solder properly years ago, and worked on decoder sized micro-circuits for years, so it shouldn't be that much of a challenge. If Hornby can sell decent spec. decoders for a tenner a pop ( guess we'll just have to wait and see) then I might well take the plunge next year.

Reply to
airsmoothed

wrote

Yup, if not a nightmare then certainly something to lose sleep about, at least until you've had a go and cracked the problem. I hasten to add that I've not not tackled one yes, which is why there's no J39 or B1 currently on my layout.

If Bachmann are insisting on going down the 'DCC on board' route then it these locos they should be tackling, not those that are already 'DCC ready'.

You don't need to wait for Hornby to release decoders at under a tenner. I believe the Lenz MacCoders (LE1000A) have been repriced to £9.95 so they're there already AND you're not waiting for something from an untried product range.

Incidentally, as an individual, I wouldn't touch the Hornby DCC range for at least twelve months to give them the opportunity to iron the snags out of the system.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

True John, I'm just wondering if the Hornby decoders will be closer to a Lenz 'gold' - well I can hope can't I ;-)

As an electronics engineer of sorts I don't buy any new consumer electronics product for at least a year, for the same reason!

Reply to
airsmoothed

I doubt it for =A310.

Zimo are close to Lenz Gold and cheaper! e.g. MX64 =A318.50 v Gold HO, =A321 - =A324

Available in the UK from us.

Andrew Crosland

google

wrote

Zimo are close to Lenz Gold and cheaper! e.g. MX64 £18.50 v Gold HO, £21 - £24

I think Zimo are closer in spec to a Lenz Silver which costs £19.50. I know which I'd prefer.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

It depends which features you want. The Zimo decoders do not have the Gold's USP or ABC, but they do have Railcomm and SUSI interface, which the Silver do not.

Can I ask why you prefer Lenz?

Andrew

Reply to
google

wrote

Had a couple minor problems with Zimo decoders a year or two back, whilst Lenz have been totally trouble free for me. The Gold and Silver decoders have been the closest to plug & play of any I've ever used and give absolutely superb running qualities.

Simple as that really.

John.

Andrew

Reply to
John Turner

In message , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

Makes you wonder why anyone buys a new house these days.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

So true. Whilst there are presumably a few adantages to buying a new house ( better thermal efficiency is the only one I can think of), there are many more disadvantages - small rooms, small doors, small garages - many too small for even a medium size car - big enough for a railway though ;-) - small gardens etc. etc. I've never bought new & doubt I ever will.

Reply to
airsmoothed

In message , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

You've left out the biggest disadvantage: the property is most likely unfinished: small things that have been forgotten about still need fitting.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

You mean like the roof?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

is most likely unfinished: small things that have been forgotten about still need fitting. Jane

Have you been spying on my model railway again ? :-)