clarify

Sorry, I need to clarify the question a bit.

The question is: Can you use dimensional values from the SolidWorks models to drive programs that can determine routing hours? Can it be as simple as linking an Excel spreadsheet or as complicated as feeding data to another program system?? It's not embedding all the logic into the model so that it's smart enough to carry all that. And yeah. Ultimately we need to really just know the "COST" of the mother.

Reply to
thestew

I'll chime in here and just say that it depends...Don't know what you make, but if you can determine routing hours from dimensions, it can't be super complicated stuff requiring a ton of different operations. But I believe that to answer your question, if you have all the dimensions you want in a excel design table for the part, than yes, it could be as simple as setting up another spreadsheet to pull in the data/dimensions from the design table into your other spreadsheet. (Although I don't have anything set up for this so I'm not sure if it actually would be pulling or pushing the data).

Ahh, sometimes it's good to have a planning department and a cost estimator...but of course they're a pain in the arse too, but as I hate that part of the job, I'll put up with it as long as they do it.. ;)

IYM

Reply to
<IYM>