Which Turntable is Best?

I've been told that both the Atlas Turntable and the Walthers Turntable, are either "Excellent" or "A piece of crap"... depending on who I talk to. I
would welcome any opinions about these two prducts and any recommendations for other brands. I need a motorized turntable and I'm more concerned about quality than cost.
Any thoughts?
Carter Braxton
"Carter Braxton"

The plastic Walther's turntable of seven to ten years ago was a piece of crap.
-- Cheers Roger T.

The people who said 'excellent' are just plain weird. They must enjoy constant sticking, bad contacts, and general out-of-roundness.

If you don't mind the general europeaness of the style, the Marklin motorized turntable is very nice, and with indexing builtin besides. *
like corkscrews.
When you say"The people who said 'excellent' are just plain weird. They must enjoy

refering to Atlas or Walthers... or both?
Carter
writes:

are
recommendations
about
The both of them are crap and excellent, depending upon what you feel. Good points on the Atlas turntable is that it is a very reliable turntable. Bad points on the Atlas is that it is a covered pit turntable - a very rare item, and that it uses a geneva mechanism so the turntable starts and stops at each position iwth half of the running time being stopped at a positoin. The good points of the Walther's turntable is that it is a typical shaped turntable. The bad points are that it is driven from underneath (not bad in itself) but the mechanism used isn't the best in the world and some have difficulty in assembling it correctly so tha it will run well.
One of the best turntables on the market is the Fleischmann one.
--
+GF+

"I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to make
+GF+:
For $300 I should hope the Fleischmann table would be good... :P
Cordially yours, Gerard P.

Walthers Part # 933-2829 .......... Expected: 28-Nov-2005
I would think this turntable is excellent. Has anyone seen this $299 turntable in use?

Matt, Howard Zane put one of the new Walthers powered turntables on his layout and felt it was excellent. I thought they were already available. Maybe this is a new run of tt's or maybe Howard being in the model train business for so long got hold of a demo or something. It was some back when he emailed me about it.. Anyway he said it was great. Bruce

Only problem with the new Walthers 'table is that it's too long.
I need one that will turn a 2-8-2 max., even though I run 4-8-2s and, when they are available, 2-10-2s but they're on run-throughs and don't need turning. It's local engines that need turning, up to 2-8-2s.
-- Cheers Roger T.
On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:23:44 -0700, Roger T. wrote:

Amen! 18 inches!!!
--
Steve

If that's the case, hopefully they can learn from this and correct and re-issue their flawed 90' turntable from the late 1990s.
"Mark Mathu"

"Flawed" is being polite. I know because I'm one of the suckers who bought one. :-(
-- Cheers Roger T.
The Walther's website lists the 90' HO turntable to be available in March of 2006: it claims to be the same "new" turntable as the 130', but smaller: see here:
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-2840
Ed
in article dKk8f.11881$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com, Mark Mathu at snipped-for-privacy@mathu.com wrote on 10/28/05 12:49 AM:

--
Ed Oates
http://homepage.mac.com/edoates

Great! Hope it works. :-)
I'll wait for the reviews as I do for all Walthers models since I got burned with the previous 90ft 'table, and if they're positive, it's a definite for the new GER.
-- Cheers Roger T.
I built the old 90' turntable, too, and when motorized, it basically doesn't turn. Too bad: it's a good looking model.
A solution which I did not do is to use the Altas 7.5 degree index turntable mechanism to turn the Walthers bridge. I mocked it up, but decided to get the Fleishmann turntable instead. It is still not installed (ok, I'm a procrastinator); if the new Walther's 90' look and performs well, I may switch to that and sell the Fleishmann. My take of the Fleishmann is that it look OK, but quite European in flavor, and the track and approach track are all code 100, and I use code 83 Tillig Pilz Elite. I've got a lot of work to do between now and then, though, so we'll see.
Ed
in article snipped-for-privacy@grapevine.islandnet.com, Roger T. at snipped-for-privacy@highspeedplus.com wrote on 10/28/05 11:38 AM:

--
Ed Oates
http://homepage.mac.com/edoates
On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 17:47:58 GMT, Edward A. Oates wrote:

How flexible is the indexing on the big one - that is, is 60 positions a memory capacity, or is something like a preset for every 6 degrees?
It would be nice if they had a non-indexed version available for a lesser price. A slow-speed nudge switch would do the job for any turntable not back in a corner and hard to see.
--
Steve

Or you could use an old power pack. I built my own turntable and pit but use an old Atlas to turn it. Even though the Atlas will index the indexed locations are too far apart. With the throttle I can line up the tracks placed anywhere around real easy. So easy that self indexing is no real advantage. Of course the TT location is right by the table edge so it will be very easy to see everything. But then I don't think I would ever place a TT of any kind where I could not reach it and see everything. That could be worse than getting to a hard to reach turn out. Bruce
The sure way to insure that the TT is indexed propeerly is to have a motor under the table that pushes out an arrow shaped pin into a socket under the rails that puts the table into the exact right position. Don't use a solenoid as this may make the table jerk strongly if the index was off a big.
Fleishman also makes a pretty good turntable, though it looks pretty European: model 6651.