Which Turntable is Best?

I've been told that both the Atlas Turntable and the Walthers Turntable, are either "Excellent" or "A piece of crap"... depending on who I talk to. I would welcome any opinions about these two prducts and any recommendations for other brands. I need a motorized turntable and I'm more concerned about quality than cost.

Any thoughts?

Carter Braxton

Reply to
Carter Braxton

"Carter Braxton"

The plastic Walther's turntable of seven to ten years ago was a piece of crap.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

The people who said 'excellent' are just plain weird. They must enjoy constant sticking, bad contacts, and general out-of-roundness.

If you don't mind the general europeaness of the style, the Marklin motorized turntable is very nice, and with indexing builtin besides. *

Reply to
Paul Vader

When you say"The people who said 'excellent' are just plain weird. They must enjoy

refering to Atlas or Walthers... or both?

Carter

recommendations

Reply to
Carter Braxton

The both of them are crap and excellent, depending upon what you feel. Good points on the Atlas turntable is that it is a very reliable turntable. Bad points on the Atlas is that it is a covered pit turntable - a very rare item, and that it uses a geneva mechanism so the turntable starts and stops at each position iwth half of the running time being stopped at a positoin. The good points of the Walther's turntable is that it is a typical shaped turntable. The bad points are that it is driven from underneath (not bad in itself) but the mechanism used isn't the best in the world and some have difficulty in assembling it correctly so tha it will run well.

Bob May

One of the best turntables on the market is the Fleischmann one.

Reply to
+GF+
+GF+:

For $300 I should hope the Fleischmann table would be good... :P

Cordially yours, Gerard P.

Reply to
pawlowsk002

Walthers Part # 933-2829 .......... Expected: 28-Nov-2005

I would think this turntable is excellent. Has anyone seen this $299 turntable in use?

Reply to
Matt Brennan

Matt, Howard Zane put one of the new Walthers powered turntables on his layout and felt it was excellent. I thought they were already available. Maybe this is a new run of tt's or maybe Howard being in the model train business for so long got hold of a demo or something. It was some back when he emailed me about it.. Anyway he said it was great. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Thanks guys... your comments have all been very helpful

Reply to
Carter Braxton

Only problem with the new Walthers 'table is that it's too long.

I need one that will turn a 2-8-2 max., even though I run 4-8-2s and, when they are available, 2-10-2s but they're on run-throughs and don't need turning. It's local engines that need turning, up to 2-8-2s.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

What's the group's thoughts on Diamond Scale's turntables?

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Amen! 18 inches!!!

Reply to
Steve Caple

I think this is an additional run of the 130' turntable they introduced about a year ago, not a new product.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Try the website is impressive anyway. Keith

Reply to
Keith

If that's the case, hopefully they can learn from this and correct and re-issue their flawed 90' turntable from the late 1990s.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

"Mark Mathu"

"Flawed" is being polite. I know because I'm one of the suckers who bought one. :-(

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

The Walther's website lists the 90' HO turntable to be available in March of

2006: it claims to be the same "new" turntable as the 130', but smaller: see here:

Ed

in article dKk8f.11881$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com, Mark Mathu at snipped-for-privacy@mathu.com wrote on 10/28/05 12:49 AM:

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

Fleishman also makes a pretty good turntable, though it looks pretty European: model 6651.

Ed

in article dKk8f.11881$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com, Mark Mathu at snipped-for-privacy@mathu.com wrote on 10/28/05 12:49 AM:

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

"Edward A. Oates"

Great! Hope it works. :-)

I'll wait for the reviews as I do for all Walthers models since I got burned with the previous 90ft 'table, and if they're positive, it's a definite for the new GER.