UP-BNSF Collision in Texas

This is a disaster only a personal injury lawyer could love.

3 Dead 45 injured in BNSF-UP collision

As noted, a BNSF and a UP freight collided in Southwestern Bexar county, causing the spill of chlorine and amonium-nitrate. The incident occured around 5am close to Loop 410 and Pearsall road on the former SP mine line.

3 people have been confirmed dead, with the possibility of a fourth. One engineer was killed and a conductor is missing, and presumed to be dead. Also killed was an elderly couple in a nearby home, when they inhaled the toxic fumes. Over 45 people have been taken to hospitals all across San Antonio. Some remain in critical condition, including a UP engineer. Others have been treated and released. Some children and elderly people were among those receiving injuries.

The effects of this collision were felt at locations over 15 miles away from the derailment. Sea World of Texas, which is 11 miles away from the wreck site, postponed Mondays scheduled Season Opening due to the wreck. The fumes had migrated to the Sea World location, and 2 employees were taken to hospitals for treatment. An area prison was placed on lock-down due to the wreck. The air conditioning was shut down as a precautionary measure.

The cause of the collision is under investigation. It appears as the BNSF train was entering a siding when it was struck by a UP Westbound. 5 locomotives and over 30 cars were involved in the wreck.

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Jon Miller

Jon Miller cried out

Kinda sounds like something that would happen near here. In Cleveland where I work there is a crossing of UPRR and BNSF. Normally UPRR has right of way 100% of the time. A Few weeks ago a BNSF was stopped at that crossing. An oncomming UPRR had to stop as a result. It just looked kinda odd. Normally if there is a UPRR within several miles the BNSF will wait.

Reply to
Rosco

It appears to me from afar that Union Pacific has it's model license program locked down well, but they perhaps need to spend some of that energy on running trains properly. Any money they collected from model fees is more than used up fighting this wreck.

Reply to
oztrainman

That doesn't even compare! Do you realize that three people died as a result of the Bexar County accident?

Reply to
Mark Mathu

He said would as in might the way I read it? He is saying the same type of accident is very possible in Cleveland were he works.

Reply to
oztrainman

He said would as in might the way I read it? He is saying the same type of accident is very possible in Cleveland were he works.

Reply to
oztrainman

"oztrainman" wrote

Reading this the first time you posted it, only confused me.

After reading your second posting, I'm so dizzy that I won't attempt a third reading.

Excuse me, I have to lie down for awhile...

Reply to
Curious

Salvé "Mark Mathu" skrev i meddelandet news:R67Fc.17512$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com...

What happened to the signaling? However three dead is light though very sad, compared to the British Quintinshill Disaster of the Great War (1914-18) it is nothing, there if memory serves me correctly (due to a signalmans carelessness compounded by other factors) a Troop train 22 carriages long ran full speed into a pair of halted goods trains, the subsequent crash was made more horrifying by the fact that the troop train was lit by liquid gas which ignited, about ten minutes into this hell an express passenger train travelling at maximum speed ran into the debry causing still more casualties, due to the regimental records being destroyed in the fires a true account of the casualties was never known, but I seem to remember that they stopped counting at 900+, its been a while since I read about it but it was mandatory reading when I trained (!) as a BR Train Guard, I'm sure someone can give a better description, but on the whole I think that it can be said with assurance that rail travel is a very safe form of transport these days and while it is sad that those people died let us hope that it will mean that a better system comes into place as is usual in Railway circles. Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

I have no idea what you are saying. Your post is making me dizzy!

Reply to
oztrainman